Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best STARTING battery??? >

Best STARTING battery???

Notices

Best STARTING battery???

Old 09-19-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I took Berg's/Liquid Lounge's post and just went over to Sear's and purchased 2 of their Die Hard Gold batteries. They are a NON-deep cycle battery and are freshly produced---one made in Aug and the other in Sept. They are more like a car type battery.

I don't have a lot of time for searching and shopping for batteries and this has been kind of a last minute thing, so I DO regard and appreciate all the input that has been said. These Die Hards have a 1 year warrantee and are maintenance free. We'll see how they do. I know one thing for sure---they're better than what I have now. The ones that I have now won't even hold a charge much at all. My third battery is brand new last year and it is a LARGE deep cycle marine battery and is working fine---it's more for accessories vs cranking so I am all set there.

Last edited by KAAMA; 09-19-2002 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Best is Stinger by AMP: Very good batteries and I have NEVER replaced one yet. I even put one that looks like a motor cycle battery in my truck and it still is kicking 4 years later no problem. Just took it out and gave it to a friend for his bug because he could not find a battery that would fit were he wanted to put it. They are very expensive however at about 240 bucks for the large one!!

Best Bang for the Buck: The Optima I think fits this catagory well. They can go from btwn 128-160 bucks depending on who is selling them. I have seen a number of failures on these HOWEVER they have always stood behind them no questions asked.

Another good buy is AutoZone Batteries. Made at the same place DieHards are and they come with a better warrantee. They are cheaper then the Diehard Equivelent. Depending on your area you may have to get the post adaptors but they do kick ass for a cheap battery. Maybe 50-60 bucks.

Jon
Old 09-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Optima

One season on my Optima's so far no problems. Left the boat sit 3 weeks + Started right up. I am very satisfied so far.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two Exide batteries , first one lasted a year and started "acting up". It would need a jump once in a while. Replaced it and ok for another year. Second battery did the same thing. Every once in a while it would need a jump and was ok then. Bought new battery (again) and put the questionable one in a different vehicle , figuring the problem wasn't the battery. Well a little while later the trouble appeared again , same battery , different vehicle. That was my last Exide. Since then I've stuck with Delco , except for my latest. They are Deka group 31's. Had to change battery boxes in my Formula but I think the Rating is about 33 gazillion CCA . My son manages a parts store and I could have got either at cost , but he said that the Deka's where actually better that the Delcos, and had far fewer returns on the Dekas. Also said Exides had interal intercell connector problems causing the starting prob. and Delcos have had a number of returns for broken posts.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Interstate

I have had good luck with the Interstate Deep Cycles. So far two years in the boat and now problems. I bought one from West Marine and it crapped out in 3 months.

Another good battery company I have dealt with in the past is "LEE" they seemed to last forever, just harder to find.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Audio hit it on the head with the Stinger and Auto Zone batteries.

We use the Stingers in all our sound competition vehicles. Several in each of course. Expensive, but good.

The Auto Zone battery, can't remember the name, but I have used it for several years and always recommend it. Best over the counter warranty of any battery on the market. 1000 CC amps I think. Not very expensive either. Duralast Gold might be the name of it? Anyway, when I need to replace my batteries in the Scarab this will be the ones I use.

Buck
Old 09-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Registered

Scott your Optima batteries get the vote for the most trick looking batteries on the market.....Fred
Old 09-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Auto Zone Duralast Gold - all the way!
3 year (THREE YEAR) FREE REPLACEMENT!
a bunch of other months prorated warranty on top.

just figure out how large you can fit, go match it up, and tell them it is for a custom pickup truck (warranty is void for marine use).

I have 5 of them in my diesel cruiser. They have been in there for 29 months and I have not even needed to add any water!

I have had 2 of them in the Formula for about 20 months. I did add water to one of them this summer.

I got sick of replacing batteries all the time. DieHard Marines just did not last more than a season or two. Motorcraft deep cycle batts lasted less than 2 yrs in the diesel. Deka marine batteries did last more than 4 years in the Formula, but the next set lasted a year (same kind of batteries).
Old 09-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've had good luck with the Exide 1000s. You can buy them at a lot of different places. My friend likes Interstates, but he has to replace them every two years.