525efi - mechanical fuel pump oil change >

525efi - mechanical fuel pump oil change

Notices

525efi - mechanical fuel pump oil change

Old 12-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
Currently, I just turn the pump upside down and sideways until it all drips out but I've been wanting to do the same thing with the drain plugs. Where did you drill the hole and what size tap and plug did you use? Any pictures?
You have to pull the pump to put the drains in and there's an an obvious flat location that you'll see once you have it out. I used an Allen head plug with an oring seal rather than a pipe thread which seals because of its tapered threads. These can create cracks from stress if over tightened hence the o-ring style I selected.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, here is my update: pulled the fill screw out for port, then stbd eng and as predicted, a fuel/gear lube mix flowed out. Smelled of gas. Syringe set up wasnt good at pulling any fluid out. It helped when it came to filling. I did fill till steady stream of gear lube coming out. I guess i did what is required maintenance.

I then started engine at boat ramp. All seemed ok, Smartcraft showed 40-42 fuel psi.

Does this maintenance impact fuel psi? My reading is within specs, so shall all pressume all is good? How/when would I know if I have a problem?

I am glad I got that gas out of there.

Thx.

Last edited by imartin; 01-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by imartin
Ok, here is my update: pulled the fill screw out for port, then stbd eng and as predicted, a fuel/gear lube mix flowed out. Smelled of gas. Syringe set up wasnt good at pulling any fluid out. It helped when it came to filling. I did fill till steady stream of gear lube coming out. I guess i did what is required maintenance.

I then started engine at boat ramp. All seemed ok, Smartcraft showed 40-42 fuel psi.

Does this maintenance impact fuel psi? My reading is within specs, so shall all pressume all is good? How/when would I know if I have a problem?

I am glad I got that gas out of there.

Thx.
The pressure you're reading would be the pressure created by the electric EFI pump not the mechanical one you just serviced. The mech runs about 8 psig and the electric one about 43 psig if I recall
Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I've tried using a syringe with a 1/4" tube and sucking the lube out. You can only get about half of the lube out that way. The tube gets hung up.
So Griff (or anyone else for that matter), what are you using to get the lube out? (assuming you don't have a bottom drain installed).
Old 01-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
So Griff (or anyone else for that matter), what are you using to get the lube out? (assuming you don't have a bottom drain installed).
I don't have mech fuel pumps anymore. That is what I did on my other boats when I had them.

I used to change impellers every other year.
I would just remove the entire sea pump and tip it on its side and let the lube drain out on the years I was also changing the impeller.
On the years I wasn't changing the impeller, I would suck out what I could with the syringe/tube and then try and force/flush new lube in.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I don't have mech fuel pumps anymore. That is what I did on my other boats when I had them.

I used to change impellers every other year.
I would just remove the entire sea pump and tip it on its side and let the lube drain out on the years I was also changing the impeller.
On the years I wasn't changing the impeller, I would suck out what I could with the syringe/tube and then try and force/flush new lube in.
ok, that's what I did with the syringe set up. I likely flushed more in than needed, but I did so until new and clean lube flowed back out....

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What oil to use in the fuel pump? Gear lube? synt. oil? I have to do this too, but I have them off.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
What oil to use in the fuel pump? Gear lube? synt. oil? I have to do this too, but I have them off.
Same gear oil you use in ur drives