Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Builder used different cam than specified. >

Builder used different cam than specified.

Notices

Builder used different cam than specified.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

He is paid in full. I was quoted $2300 for a rebuild of my shortblock. I gave him $1000 deposit on my credit card. He called me to pick it up and said I owed a balance of $2150. I said the only part I added was a crane cam (and i got the comp cam I didn't want). He said "you added parts on". Never even a phone call. The guy had my motor disassembled for a week, and all of my parts were looked over when he gave me the quote. I just felt that I should have at least gotten a phone call on the add ons and I should have gotten the cam I requested. The balance was paid with a check.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
He is paid in full. I was quoted $2300 for a rebuild of my shortblock. I gave him $1000 deposit on my credit card. He called me to pick it up and said I owed a balance of $2150. I said the only part I added was a crane cam (and i got the comp cam I didn't want). He said "you added parts on". Never even a phone call. The guy had my motor disassembled for a week, and all of my parts were looked over when he gave me the quote. I just felt that I should have at least gotten a phone call on the add ons and I should have gotten the cam I requested. The balance was paid with a check.

See post #30.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
How about telling us who it is so no one else has to go down the same path?
I don't think its appropriate to call out anyone here. I understand the disappointment.
Custom engine builders in most states don't have to comply with the same repair order revised estimate protocol that a auto repair shop does.

No vin or hin numbers being involved keeps them out of that world.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Registered

177 Roots blower with EMI Thunder exhaust with 3" taller risers mixing water about 5" away from the transom.
Originally Posted by SB
NA or Roots SC ? What exhaust ?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

cmattj
So you think it is OK for a "custom" engine builder to give an estimate, then throw the estimate out the window?. After that " custom" builder can do what he wants and charge what he wants?.......Not in my world
Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

If he would have given me the cam I wanted, I would be 100% satisfied. The extra $850 would have been forgotten when I start the boat. Now I either have to swap the cam or wonder if its gonna suck water every time I start the motor. His timeliness was awesome, his workmanship looks really nice, he has a great reputation for reliability in both auto and marine engines. It was not all bad.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
cmattj
So you think it is OK for a "custom" engine builder to give an estimate, then throw the estimate out the window?. After that " custom" builder can do what he wants and charge what he wants?.......Not in my world
Never said it was ok. Just that when your dealing with non BAR regulated repair you dont have the same recourse to make complaints that you would with registered vehicles or boats.

That is reality in most worlds

I think the thread should stay more on point with the Cam Question than perceptions of business practice.

Last edited by cmattj; 01-17-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would call the credit card company and decline the charge. Remove the cam he installed give it back to him and install whatever cam you feel is correct.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I would call the credit card company and decline the charge. Remove the cam he installed give it back to him and install whatever cam you feel is correct.
Part of me wants to do that. If the cam he put in will make the power I want and not be an issue with reversion, its not worth the hassle. I would just run it if it will be ok. I guess I am trying to figure out if I have to absolutely change it.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 79formula
Part of me wants to do that. If the cam he put in will make the power I want and not be an issue with reversion, its not worth the hassle. I would just run it if it will be ok. I guess I am trying to figure out if I have to absolutely change it.
You could always have your tails modified then you will not have to worry about it unless you get stuck in reverse on a windy day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.