Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I need to paint a couple of aluminum pieces. What is the best spray paint?  thanks >

I need to paint a couple of aluminum pieces. What is the best spray paint? thanks

Notices

I need to paint a couple of aluminum pieces. What is the best spray paint? thanks

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What I've done is use the Zinc primer - I got this at Lowes. I first sanded with a relatively fine grit sandpaper the item (in my case the steg) to get to the metal -- I wasn't very aggressive with this- just wanted to smooth things out. I then put no less than 5-8 coats of spray- waiting about 15-20 minutes between application - it was warm that day and I was doing other things on the boat and when the spirit moved me I added another light coat of primer. In my opinion the trick to this entire thing was applying a number of very light coats of primer and letting it dry. After I did this I did the same thing with Mercury Black Spray Paint -- again very light coats -- I don't remember exactly how many I applied but it was more than 5. Again the time between applications was as least 10-15 minutes.

It has been 3 years since I did this and the paint is sticking very well - NO ISSUES at all.

again to me the trick was the light coats and letting them dry

All the best

3pointstar
Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blast the parts then zinc chromium first then IMRON if the parts are exposed. This is what I have heard time and time again from the pros. Do not even think about powder coating them, it will flake off due to vibs.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Ive always had great luck with painting aluminum by first laying down an automotive self etching primer.....then if you are going white or black, i really like the rustoleum appliance epoxy paint they make for repainting fridges and ovens. Stuff is very tough....if you going color then i usually go with an engine paint if i can find the right color i want.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used fusion on multiple alum pieces, all in direct sunlight with no primer...all prep work was done, sand then acetone bath. Light coats, multiple coats. All is holding up like brand new. I guess next time I will primer but I skipped it due to lack of knowledge.

LC
Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another option depending on the color you want ,is wheel paint from parts store.white clear black and metallic silver.$6 a can and can be sprayed directly on clean freshly prepped aluminum with positive results.sticks to plastic quite well even without adsesion promoter also