Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Does anybody run twin EFi engines  with multiple fuel tanks? >

Does anybody run twin EFi engines with multiple fuel tanks?

Notices

Does anybody run twin EFi engines with multiple fuel tanks?

Old 03-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
It takes 2 imco 6 port fuel valves. In 1 position, each engine pulls from and returns fuel to its own saddle tank. In the other position both engines pull from and return fuel to the main tank. Pretty simple really. I can draw you a diagram if you promise not to laugh at it
That would work but $1500 is not in the budget for just fuel selector valves.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Even if you return the fuel to the filter heads instead of the tank, you will still need 2 3 port valves to switch between the saddle tanks and the main tank. I doubt that there is that much difference between the cost of the 3 port and the 6 port valves. The only other option that I can see is to T all of the tanks together with valves on the saddle tanks so that you can gravity feed them into the main tank, or put a fuel pump on the saddle tanks and pump them into the main tank. I am personally not very keen on either of those options. I would end up forgetting to close the valves or shut off the pumps and overfill the main tank. I would do it correctly the first time and be done with it. One switch on the dash will work both valves and they will also switch the fuel gauge if you only have 1.
The following users liked this post:
abones (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

I thought coast guard regulations didn't allow you to return gasoline back to the tank. That is why Mercury returns back to the filter head. I could be totally wrong too.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

MOst of the ski/wake boats not just return back to the tank but have the pump in the tank like vehicles.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

There is no mention of a return line in the USCG fuel system standards, it just states what material the lines should be made of. This is old info from a boat builders handbook from when I worked at Celebrity boats though.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 03-26-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
MOst of the ski/wake boats not just return back to the tank but have the pump in the tank like vehicles.
Originally Posted by snapmorgan
There is no mention of a return line in the USCG fuel system standards, it just states what material the lines should be made of. This is old info from a boat builders handbook from when I worked at Celebrity boats though.
Thanks guys