500 EFI cutting out at 5000? >

500 EFI cutting out at 5000?

Notices

500 EFI cutting out at 5000?

Old 04-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 1 through 4, all look good, no codes, each sensor checked out on the voltage readings. A knock sensor is impossible to buy locally, I will have one Saturday, mine does look a bit beat, plus installation torque is key on them at 16 to 20 pounds per the manual.

I spoke to a master mech today who has done maitenance on my boat and he was surprised by this issue, he said the 4 ways it will go to Gaurdian/safe mode (OM series MEFI3 motors) can be eliminated by unplugging each one, one by one, all will be on a stripped wire. He said BE GLAD it is not a 1998 or late 1999 model, I might not have been so lucky!

For me, new water separator today, the winter was not good to the old one, full of crud, I also changed drive fluid today, why not at this point, I plan to take our mechanic on a boat ride Saturday, wish us luck.
This guy we are using now is Merc Cert but new to us, if we are not fixed Saturday she will go in the shop while I am gone for two weeks with our regular guy.

I would still like to see that manual page on the safe mode, email it to me.....

Tell us more about the set up and dyno????????

WHAT exhaust you running?

Thanks...
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 04-17-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Not sure why he mad that comment, maybe because they had different ECU's before 1999, I am surely the wrong person to ask. I was busy trying to gather applicable info to my situation.

There is always tomorrow!
Bryan
Old 04-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

No, waiting on the mechanic to boat test on the water, we will also install a new knock sensor, I will have data this evening.
Good Luck on the dyno.
Bryan
Old 04-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Registered

Default 500 EFI problems

Guys, I remember back last summer someone had a similiar problem on OSO with a twin engine boat, and he found that by having the both battery switch that separates the batteries has to be on 1 for one engine and on 2 for the other engine. I don't remember the details but if the switch was turned on both, there was a feedback which affected the engines and lowered the rpm at top end. Wish I could find the thread.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Well, water test sucked, every sensor on the motor is in tolerance, we did find a few pins pushed back on the ECU connections, we are now leaning toward the ECU.
We splash again in the morning with a new ECU and extra sensors and a merc dash unit that will plug into my dash harness to take my dash out of the loop, pretty neat.
Fuel pressure was 42 on top and strong, did not leak down when key was shut off either.
Timing was advancing correctly.
Compression remained good.

What keyed us on the wiring harness was when we moved the merc comp to the other side of the engine bay the motor returned to normal.

My motor is NOT going into the safe/limp mode. She just runs lik **** at 3500 rpm to 4000 and put the motor in some funky mode.

He said IAT normally has a number close to something, and when the condition arrises IAC shoots sky high.

More tomorrow. Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Tuvell; 04-19-2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Man, we do sound to have a similar issue, my deal was she ran fine before winter so we doubt anything big internally. The mechanic explained that you should hold the wires to plug the ECU in vice the plug, and he called it, several pins pushed back, which he corrected.

I do think it is something simple, if we can just find it.
I am now HOPING that the ECU is bad, just so it will be fixed.

Funny, he said today this problem is now "personal."
We launch again at 8am on Easter, I hate to miss church but that is life. Boating is our weekly family pastime and very important to the whole family.

Keep us posted on your data and I will too.
I did not mean to take over this thread it just worked out that way.

What is your IAC and IAT numbers, my IAC was haywire at 18, the new is 0 and she will start fine and idle smooth.

Bryan
Old 04-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Well, all bad.
What we did/swapped:
-MAP
-ECU
-Used Merc dash conrols
-IAC numbers shot up again, when were consistant yesterday, it is new.
-Dist is new, complete.
-IAT, odd thing was it had oil in it, odd. Swapped to a new one, did not help.
-New plugs
-New wires
-TPS sensor, swapper throttle bodies
Still no codes.
So, it will now officially go into the the largest shop in the area with a full service department and Z-Care claim.

We are done.
Bryan
Old 04-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Registered

Pantera 24-650 hp. I am not sure I have fully understood everything in this thread but you mention that you have one fuelpressure at idle and a significantly higher at higher rpms. Sounds wrong to me.

Mats
Old 04-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone checked the voltage output at the coil, or at the plug, while under load. A bad coil can cause this type of problem! It's old tech.

John B
Old 05-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

My issue was 2 bad injectors, clue was low voltage readings, Merc picked up the bill for a new set of four!

Bryan