35 Fountain with rotten transom. >

35 Fountain with rotten transom.

Notices

35 Fountain with rotten transom.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have repaired many fountain transoms that year and newer , more than likely he will find the stringers are wet and rotten as well, it is a big time consuming job, but if done properly will get many years of service, k planes seem to be the culprit, I don't care for the sealer they used in those years, most of the fountains we have repaired in those years ( early 2000) the hardware falls off the boat , pre 99 boats the gel coat came off with the sealer, attached to the running gear, 5 to 8 k depending how bad the stringers are , that includes removing power , rigging and re rig. Good Luck
Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Transom replacements are common. I had a buddy who recently got an entire new transom, stringers from transom to bulkhead, outer transom and some of the hullside repainted, and some misc stuff on his 38 Cigarette. His bill was about 10g. He did the derigging and rigging himself. Your price seems high.
Not sure why his price or estimate would seem high if it included everything. I would assume it would be an open estimate to cover their azz as well All I'm saying is I don't think his estimate is that high considering what the guy paid who you knew who did his own r&r ing does it? Also price can vary a bunch if you drop it off to a marina, boat repair facility or a retired boat guy just doing a side job to make a buck. It's not that difficult of a job rather time consuming as everyone pretty much agrees.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Guys spend 15, 20, 25, or more thousand rebuilding, or building new engines for their boat.

No way id be parting out a boat thats prob worth 50-60 grand, just because it needs a transom job. I can see if it was a 15k dollar old heap, but.....
Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Not sure why his price or estimate would seem high if it included everything. I would assume it would be an open estimate to cover their azz as well All I'm saying is I don't think his estimate is that high considering what the guy paid who you knew who did his own r&r ing does it? Also price can vary a bunch if you drop it off to a marina, boat repair facility or a retired boat guy just doing a side job to make a buck. It's not that difficult of a job rather time consuming as everyone pretty much agrees.
My buddy went to a legit shop. One that did most of the glass work for shogren/pier57. It wasnt just a typical transom replacement either. Besides this, it was stringers, paint work, and so on.
Attached Thumbnails 35 Fountain with rotten transom.-537797d1425166925-my-flat-deck-transom-replacement-paint-project-20150205_160516.jpg   35 Fountain with rotten transom.-537801d1425166966-my-flat-deck-transom-replacement-paint-project-20150224_182159.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Egads. You weren't kidding. I'd suggest the OP use shogren without a doubt. No one has to convince of repairing and rebuilding. Been doing all my life. Nothing scares me although I have scratched my head a time or two but end result always pays off. OP should get a few estimates regardless. To do job complete I still don't think I'm off to far. Ya it's part of boating. Its an expense that sucks regardless but assuming the boat is even in ok to decent shape it's certainly worth it. If it's worn out and trashed he has to face the right thing to do. There is an awesome 96 35 with revved up 540's asking price a little under 50k with trailer. I've seen up to 90k and as low as 35k. All depends on the obvious. Meticulous boat owners are awesom. We all appreciate them especially when it comes time to buy. Ones that aren't well I'd rather buy a moped. Unbelievable how some let their chit go.

Again I feel bad for OP and wish you well and sure you will end up doing the right thing and just know your not alone. Happens a lot. Just ask glassdave. He will be the first to tell you how many and what manufacturers with the most problems. I've grew up around boat builders. Challenger and saber but never until recent times questioned as to why transoms as well as stringers weren't built with altogether different material from day one.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

if you are droppog off a runnin g and driving boat, having rigging removed transom done and completely re rigging boat and you get it back water ready... I don't think 10,000 is that far off what most places would charge, of course there will be some a little cheaper and some more, but that seems average to me... some shops also get a premium if they are good...
Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Agreeded. ^^^^^^^
Old 04-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree also, I haven't had under a 10K bid to fix a custom paint job that's got the clear peeling ....hell the transom work has value at least