some 4150/4500 dyno info

Old 05-15-2016, 06:26 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Looks like you need a bigger intake.
The parts swapping and testing budget is exhausted. That's like 8 pulls using 2 intakes, 3 carbs and 3 spacers, plus misc adjusting and fixing while on the dyno and they are still going back on AGAIN- I cant take anymore. There is one more type of spacer I'd like to try when they go back on, but someone would have to provide one to test or make one on a fancy 3d printer.

Last edited by bck; 05-15-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
The parts swapping and testing budget is exhausted. That's like 8 pulls using 2 intakes, 3 carbs and 3 spacers, plus misc adjusting and they are still going back on the dyno AGAIN- I cant take anymore. There is one more type of spacer I'd like to try when they go back on, but someone would have to provide one to test or make one on a fancy 3d printer.
Call Dave at HRE. His spacers are the best. I think a 2 in one spacer with anti-reversion plate at the top will give you the best results. With the short intake runners and a small head I'm sure the sign wave is slamming the bottom of the booster and fuel is falling out of suspension. That's why the Dominator with the 2" spacer did so much better.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:47 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
The parts swapping and testing budget is exhausted. That's like 8 pulls using 2 intakes, 3 carbs and 3 spacers, plus misc adjusting and fixing while on the dyno and they are still going back on AGAIN- I cant take anymore. There is one more type of spacer I'd like to try when they go back on, but someone would have to provide one to test or make one on a fancy 3d printer.
Speak your peace, maybe someone has one you can borrow.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by SB
Speak your peace, maybe someone has one you can borrow.
Possibly something along the lines of what black Baja is referring to. Actually someone posted a tech article recently that mentioned a 4 hole spacer at the top to essentially lengthen the throttle bores for a better signal transitioning to an open spacer to allow the fuel to curve towards the runners is how it was described iirc.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

[QUOTE=Black Baja;4439380]Call Dave at HRE. His spacers are the best. I think a 2 in one spacer with anti-reversion plate at the top will give you the best results. With the short intake runners and a small head I'm sure the sign wave is slamming the bottom of the booster and fuel is falling out of suspension. That's why the Dominator with the 2" spacer did so much better.[/QUOTE

Well put. I always respect your input.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Possibly something along the lines of what black Baja is referring to. Actually someone posted a tech article recently that mentioned a 4 hole spacer at the top to essentially lengthen the throttle bores for a better signal transitioning to an open spacer to allow the fuel to curve towards the runners is how it was described iirc.
The purpose of a 4 hole spacer is to protect the booster from the pulse that travels back up the intake port when the intake valve closes. If that pulse slams the booster you are in trouble. Fuel turns into a puddle in the bottom of the intake power goes down and detonation goes up. You really need a properly designed spacer to get the job done correctly. The HVH spacer looks cool but doesn't protect the booster.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
548 ci

Vic Jr 4150 intake

AFR 305 heads

2 inch open spacer / adapter on all pulls

1st pull Pro Systems 4150

2nd pull Pro Systems 4150

3rd pull antique Holley 4500 pre Dominator (nascar)

4th overlay pull 2/3

Thanks for posting. You have a solid 700 plus hp engine at well desired rpm and that's great. Good job. Did you use a custom grind cam? Certainly seems to work well with given combo.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The purpose of a 4 hole spacer is to protect the booster from the pulse that travels back up the intake port when the intake valve closes. If that pulse slams the booster you are in trouble. Fuel turns into a puddle in the bottom of the intake power goes down and detonation goes up. You really need a properly designed spacer to get the job done correctly. The HVH spacer looks cool but doesn't protect the booster.
Here is the quote from the Teague tech article that had me interested.

"Try the World Products Merlin X to accommodate a Holley 4500 series Dominator carburetor. The manifold works well out of the box and has brass inserts in the water passages to protect from corrosion. Select a two-circuit 1050 CFM carburetor. Three-circuit carburetors run rich in the midrange. Under the carburetor, install two 1-inch spacers. The top spacer should be a four-hole design, which lengthens the carburetor venturi and improves the booster signal.

This improved influence on the carburetor boosters will improve throttle response with the big carburetor. The spacer next to the intake manifold should be a cloverleaf design that improves the flow transition from the fourhole spacer to the intake manifold plenum..."
Old 05-15-2016, 07:17 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Thanks for posting. You have a solid 700 plus hp engine at well desired rpm and that's great. Good job. Did you use a custom grind cam? Certainly seems to work well with given combo.
I saw that you and possibly someone else were discussing 4150/4500 choices and I thought some of this info might be helpful.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I saw that you and possibly someone else were discussing 4150/4500 choices and I thought some of this info might be helpful.
Ya I was glad to see you posted. Looks like the engine liked the 1" spacer torque wise. Interesting to see your results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.