Let's talk ignition >

Let's talk ignition

Notices

Let's talk ignition

Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Does anyone have a graph of the advance curve on the HEI EST distributor? I've never had an issue with the Thunderbolt system, but if I do I may look into this. What advantages does this system have over the Thunderbolt IV? I'm guessing easier parts availability, and potentially less wiring.
I just swapped this week from the IV to the EST. The Thunderbolt IV parts are obsolete and I had an Amplifier go bad....you can take your chances on ebay and thats about it.

The EST is much less wiring and is a simple install. Swapped out and timed in less than an hour. I got mine from Michigan Motorz and the boat is starting better than it ever did with the Thunderbolt.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I really appreciate the simplicity of my DUI ignition, but it is very basic and does use centrifugal weights. I'm mostly in fresh water so it's no big deal but MT's concern is valid. I'm on on the opposite side of opinion and appreciate mechanical gizmos because I have no patience for ghostly electronics.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I really appreciate the simplicity of my DUI ignition, but it is very basic and does use centrifugal weights. I'm mostly in fresh water so it's no big deal but MT's concern is valid. I'm on on the opposite side of opinion and appreciate mechanical gizmos because I have no patience for ghostly electronics.
It still uses a magnetic pickup and electronic module.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Put something electronic in my hands and it's guaranteed to go wrong or malfunction in some way or another. I can walk in a room and set off or activate alarms or walk in any yard and sprinklers turn on.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a Delco Voyager distributor from about 1998 from a MEF1 fi setup, it looks to be the same as the EST. If so, what do I need to do to make it work on a carbed application? How do I wire the weatherproof connectors? thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
One thing nobody mentions is rev limiter.

ICU peepin, im guessing based on the cam/build combo we discussed, you will be wanting to turn 5500-5800rpm. A stock merc rev limiter isnt going to let that happen. I certainly would not run witbout a limiter myself.

In saltwater, i would not run anything that uses centrifugal weights and springs for advance. I dont even care for it in freshwater.
Thunderbolt IV doesn't use a rev limiter. I'm going to run an MSD rev limiter on my setup. They only run around $140, and unlike an MSD ignition box, I've never really heard anyone having issues with them.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
lol. You. :wink:
Ha- guess I need to look at my own notes!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I have a Delco Voyager distributor from about 1998 from a MEF1 fi setup, it looks to be the same as the EST. If so, what do I need to do to make it work on a carbed application? How do I wire the weatherproof connectors? thanks
It is the EST. Schweet huh ? No ignition system to buy when swapping to carb.

Keep and connect the two wire harness that goes from coil to distributor.

The other two wire harness that goes to other connector on your coil is the ign + lead and the other is your tach.lead.

The bigger connector with wires that plug into right side of distributor is not needed. If you have an alpha drive , these use a shift interuptor, and can be wired to one of those wires...I'd have to look that up as I forget which one.

That's it . Simple.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:42 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Ha- guess I need to look at my own notes!
I do this all the time ! Way too many notes.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i ran locked timing on supercharged engines tor years,boats&cars.after seeing the benefits of the daytona marine cd1 ignition i sold all my msd boxes&coils and went with the daytona setup.i have not run the boat yet but it will be done soon.i installed the daytona setup on my buddy,s 42 fountain with 1000,s and i am pleased with the results.imo the daytona cd1 is the way to go on a supercharged marine engine.i have a procharged 565 that also has the daytona setup and will be on the dyno thuesday.i am goung to run it with locked timing first them back to back with the daytona with a 3d map.if anyone is interested i will post the results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.