Head gasket?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Run it.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to!! Hoping the oil is just 29hours worth of blow by that has no were else to go since cylinder isn't firing... If it throws a rod the last day of the season..... O well! Just don't want to be down for 2 weeks building a motor.... Season is too short.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

It sounds like the compression was normal (for what it was) A broken ring or ring land would have much worse compression. An injector not connected would be the cause of the oil. Usually there are no seals on the exhaust valve (because it sees pressure all the time), but in your case it was not seeing the exhaust pressure and heat. I would definitely put it back together, and run it. Run the engine at idle and check the exhaust temp at the exhaust port on the underside of the exhaust manifold with an infrared temp gun. http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ing-61894.html Once you verify that you have heat in all 8 cylinders, run it. Worst case scenario is your down on compression.
I think what is on eveybodys mind is who did the rebuild. Did the engine builder do the engine install too? I hate it when someone gets screwed over. Hence the reason I do most of my own work, and I double check the work that my engine builder does too. I also supply him with the specs of what I want my engine set up with. I leave nothing to chance. Just last year I rebuilt my port engine. Once I put it in the boat and was priming it, I could feel the oil pump hanging up. I wound up pulling the engine back up and laying under it in the boat to get the engine crossmember, and oil pan to remove the oil pump. It turned out to be a slight burr on the gear of the pump. You couldn't feel it when it was dry but with it pumping oil it was very evident. Luckily my engine builder got the pump warranted, but this is a prime example of why I do a lot of my own work. You just cant trust people.
Attached Thumbnails Head gasket?-image_25656.jpg  
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 PM
Registered

That's my plan! Thank you for the post!... Yes my engine builder did the full job. He is a member here... Very suprised he hasn't spoke up yet..... I don't want to blast him because I don't know if he did the work... Or a bad employee. We have spoke several times, and he has offered to fix the issues... I just feel better fixing them myself.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monster12valve
That's my plan! Thank you for the post!... Yes my engine builder did the full job. He is a member here... Very suprised he hasn't spoke up yet..... I don't want to blast him because I don't know if he did the work... Or a bad employee. We have spoke several times, and he has offered to fix the issues... I just feel better fixing them myself.
Is the engine builder a commercial shop or someone doing a "side job" in his garage?

Would be good info for the rest of the board to steer clear so someone else doesn't get caught up in a similar mess.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 AM
Registered

Hi, yes it is a commercial shop.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Why a new injector if it was the #6 injector wire that was missing ?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Registered

Hi, I had them all balance and flow tested and 1 (#4) was in need of replacement. The Others were cleaned and are good to go.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Registered

Changed impeller today... Had all blades, but seemed very flexible. Injector should be here Thursday
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Just wanted to give a final update for anybody in the future who may have this issue. I replaced the injector, boat is running great. I tested compression again.... This time warm and WOT and got: 144-145-143-144-139-145-140-144 thank you everybody for the help, very much appreciated.