Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Do all 496's have water pressure sensors ? >

Do all 496's have water pressure sensors ?

Notices

Do all 496's have water pressure sensors ?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all 496's have water pressure sensors ?

I have a 2006 496 mag that is running a little hot. I have analog gauges. I hooked up my rinda to verify temp and also to see if I can look at the water pressure psi numbers. I don't see water pressure while scrolling on the rinda ??

Do I have a water pressure sensor somewhere in the cooling system ? I know its not on the seawater pump since I just changed the impeller.

Looked at BAM parts and couldn't find anything sensor related for my serial number.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hose that goes to the water pressure gage is connected to the sea water pump on my 496 mag ho.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The water pressure sensor on an 06 is located on the power steering cooler at the back of the motor. The ECU does monitor water pressure, and I have seen it on my Techmate Pro.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

Yes, they absolutely do. But I don't know where it is on your model.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
The water pressure sensor on an 06 is located on the power steering cooler at the back of the motor. The ECU does monitor water pressure, and I have seen it on my Techmate Pro.
Yep, spot on info.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Yes, they absolutely do. But I don't know where it is on your model.

+1
Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

First, take the ends off your closed cooling log. Run a hanger thru al the little holes. Flush it out with a hose and see what comes out...

How many hours or on the engine?
How many hours since last impeller install? (or approx)

You may need a new inpeller. If you did one in the last 100 hours maybe its breaing down...

Another problem on 496's is the impeller scores the housing and leaves the impeller less effective so even with a newer impeller you may not be setting off alarm but are also starving the engine. Personally I like JR Marine Rebuild kits I have had really good results. Heck, I think they should be installed no matter what but thats my .02
Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300 fresh water hours on motor. just put a new impeller and plate kit in to try to get it cooler. Old impeller and plates were fine.

I pulled the caps off the head exchanger, and it is clean. I flushed it anyway, no restrictions. I also backflushed from heat exchanger inlet back to the seawater pump. I had a few small pebbles come out.

The boat idles fine at 160, but climbs to 180 when running at 3400. Also when idling at 160, I can increase rpms in neutral,and the temp drops to 150 like it should. Just not sure why it running hot (on the gauge) while on plane....(I haven't ran it with the Rinda while on plane to verify...I plan on doing that this weekend).

The marina is very low this year, and I have been running through mud everytime I leave my slip.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

run it with the scan tool and monitor water pressure PSI and coolant temp and manifold temps it will show u on the scan the parameters. Check to make sure what ever gauges you have match the scan tool.

do you have sea strainer (s) ?

your engine serial number will determine parts location and part numbers - all merc 496's are not the same

if your engine was truely built in 2006 then water pressure should be installed in the power steering cooler.

I CAN NOT TELL everyone how important it is to KNOW your engine serial number and post it. This determines everything for marine engines. Year model of hull and or year on titles means 100 % NOTHING.

Last edited by BUP; 07-07-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

If you are not getting an alarm when running, I wouldn't be concerned with the temp on the gauge, those are not terribly accurate to begin with. The fact that it runs 160 at idle, runs hotter underway and cools down off plane is normal, my motors behave the same way. The motor ECU will let you know when things are getting too hot via alarms. I think it will complain north of 190 degrees.

I highly suggest getting Smartcraft monitor installed. It takes all the guess work out of gauge readings and you get great benefits like fuel consumption, basic alarm info, etc. Easy to hook up and will pay for itself in peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.