Engine Starving for air?

Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Float levels good at idle?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

So long as October is good, I'm going to dedicate as many weekends as I need to so I can get everything ironed out for next year. Maybe by then the course will slow down and you can hop on the boat for a few rides!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Float levels good at idle?

Everything is great at idle, it will idle like a 330 at 600 RPM's. The boat ran great the first few trips and then it slowly kept going slower and slower. This past weekend, it was chine walking and felt like crap anything past 4500 RPM's. Getting it over 5k was a real chore, I was able to hit 5200 with your stock 26 Bravo's now I can't hit that with BBlades labbed 26's. The starboard engine is really dragging and causing all sorts of issues.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Everything is great at idle, it will idle like a 330 at 600 RPM's. The boat ran great the first few trips and then it slowly kept going slower and slower. This past weekend, it was chine walking and felt like crap anything past 4500 RPM's. Getting it over 5k was a real chore, I was able to hit 5200 with your stock 26 Bravo's now I can't hit that with BBlades labbed 26's. The starboard engine is really dragging and causing all sorts of issues.

Make a difference hot or cold. Just wondering if it's possible lifter failure. Kinda doubt it but...
Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Nope- same hot or cold. Also lifters are not making any noise, after a hard run there is no ticking, nice an quiet. Tinkerer did a good job building these engines!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you running the carbs I had on them? Are you still messing with jetting? Have you checked your exhaust for reversion? Any chance you are taking on water weight somewhere? an engine not running properly wouldn't cause chine walking. Something has changed in the boat. Any chance you blew a power valve? i have had that happen before.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Are you running the carbs I had on them? Are you still messing with jetting? Have you checked your exhaust for reversion? Any chance you are taking on water weight somewhere? an engine not running properly wouldn't cause chine walking. Something has changed in the boat. Any chance you blew a power valve? i have had that happen before.
He's dry all the way back. Boat stored on lift. I think the chine walking is an over trim thing to get rpm up I'd guess anyway. No blown pw.

Last edited by getrdunn; 09-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I had an issue once few years back, where my port engine simply laid down over 4500rpm. Turned out I had a slightly loose fitting on the suction side of my fuel pump, must have been sucking air. It wasn't leaking fuel though. Anyhow, tightened fitting up, went back out for a ride, 5500RPM again.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I had an issue once few years back, where my port engine simply laid down over 4500rpm. Turned out I had a slightly loose fitting on the suction side of my fuel pump, must have been sucking air. It wasn't leaking fuel though. Anyhow, tightened fitting up, went back out for a ride, 5500RPM again.
It really could be something that simple. The past two weekends I've been up to the boat, I've had a boat load of people on it. So I've had no time to dig into anything. It's been driving me nuts, because I hate it when the boat isn't running as it should and I'm not going to run it hard when it's like this.

Tinkerer- I had a similar issue a few years ago where one engine was falling on its face around 4500 rpms. The other would make power to 5200 and pull the other with it, but the boat was a hand full to drive until the issue was fixed. This feels similar but the engine will surge, as if it gets the correct fuel for a second and then fall on its face again. At 70+ mph this surging is causing the boat to "feel" like its chine walking. Prior to this issue, at 80 mph the boat was rock solid. Nothing has changed other than this new issue. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a dirty needle and seat in the secondary, but until I clean it, it's only a guess. As far as the trim is concerned, I'm only at 5-6 typically at WOT, anything more and I gain nothing.

Yes I'm still running the carbs that came on the motors. The boat ran great the first time out, I'm just chasing things now to get it to run like it did that first day on the water. Once I get it to run consistently, I'll start fine tuning it.

Now that I think about it, I did change the toe in on my drives. I went form 1/8" toe in to 0" toe in. It is possible this is causing the steering/tracking issue . I'll have to change it back and see what happens.

Last edited by endeavour32; 09-08-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I know too well!!! do you run a wideband?

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Ha- I'm also curious what the shampoo and hand test is. Anyway, This project is beginning to get old. Okay, it got old a long time ago. The new flame arrestors are too tall to close the hatch all the way. I'm sure if I use a shorter carb spacer they will be fine, but I forgot the Gaffrig arrestors are around 3/4" higher than advertised due to their base. I also have a fuel issue with one of the engines. I thought maybe it was a fuel filter, but nothing changed when I put a new one on. Basically the boat runs fine until 3/4 throttle, then one engine runs out of fuel. You can feel the engine dragging the boat down, It feels like something is in the secondary needle and seat and is restricting fuel flow. I had friends up all weekend again, so I couldn't dig into it. I may or may not get to it this year. At this point the next time I go up to Michigan I need to pull docks and boat lifts. If we have a nice fall, I see what is going on. I'm starting to feel like Full Force with the issues he was having this summer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.