Replacement steering Verado 400R

Old 08-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Replacement steering Verado 400R

Hi,

I hope you are well.

I have a power assisted hydraulic steering on my Phantom 25. Its standard system coming with Verado 350 sci and the other Verado 6 inline engines. However, the helm is not accurate enough. I replaced the 40CC helm with a new 50CC helm this summer, but its still not accurate enough. Or less accurate than a Sea Star Pro system I used on my Promax 300.

The steering sylinder mounted to the engine is dead accurate. No slack at all. I presume its the electrical steering pump og helm which are not accurate enough. The inaccuracy cause loss in speed.

I see Latham offer an electrical steering pump. Maybe this is better than Mercury's?

Would an alternative be to replace the electrical power assisted system with a self contained steering system with fx a 1275V CAPILANOŽ HELM and use the already installed steering sylinder?

Thanks!

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 10-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

HI!

Just been informed that Mercury racing upgraded the steering sylinder of the 400R from serienumber 1B245434. It stronger to keep up with higher propshaft heights. Should be interesting to test. I have ordered a 400R with cambered skeg, which should reduce the load on the steering system.

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 10-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helm is an issue, it's not precise enough for high performance, I contacted Latham to see what they have as an option, will let you know
Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Peter in the U.K. Has been working on some interesting stuff for I/O's. Not sure if he has anything for OB's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560606[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Replacement steering Verado 400R-img_1049.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi!

Thanks!

Cheeers, Toffen