Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads? >

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Notices

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Full force I did check Jim v's flowing results and results varied some from head to head as advertised however intakes were more consistent than exhaust. If you have a good head guy down your way as it sounded like VC mentioned it would probably be worthy to pull them over the winter and get the best out of your heads. What intakes did you have? And also just curious if you had port matched? I'm building these 565's and it can be frustrating with components and combinations available and of course wanting maximum results at a desirable rpm. It's kinda funny how during conversation with different builders/speed shops/AFR themselves even having completely different ways to get to where I want to be. My personal thought is to get as much air into the best flowing ported 320/330 runner. Wil end up with a couple different intakes and carbs from 1050-1250's.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is an independent test I pulled off of Stan Weiss. At the lower lifts the numbers were better, higher up the flow was slightly lower. The flow numbers start at .1 and go to .9, they are in .1 increments.

AFR 325 Weingartner Racing Brez N/A 2.30/1.88
No Pipe N/A 81/63 166/137 236/182 293/226 340/258 358/274 377/280 383/282 386/282
Old 08-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

at 56 hours I would hope so, looking at options pickin g brains, not sure what the plan is yet...still bugs me after spending what I did I have to worry and not be satisfied, the plan was to go 3-4 years without touching them..

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
All the more reason to take the heads off and evaluate what's been going on and if your worries about the valvetrain are a real concern. You have enough time on the engines that, if the cams are doing damage, you should see evidence by now.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
at 56 hours I would hope so, looking at options pickin g brains, not sure what the plan is yet...still bugs me after spending what I did I have to worry and not be satisfied, the plan was to go 3-4 years without touching them..
I recall your engine dyno sheets being nearly identacle. How were the BSFC. I would imagine you would have caught it on dyno if there was any inconsistencies. Showing any valvetrain weaknesses etc. I had a problem with that on a build with a custom grind cam and it was a combination of aggressive lobe, springs, hyd lifters. Although springs and lifters spec'd by comp I ended up running solids and swapped the springs etc out. It was simply an unstable valvetrain.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your spring pressure. That is a clear indication if your lobe is pounding your valve train to death... My springs lost 0-2 lbs after 80 hours when checked on the last set up
Old 08-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

engines were 3 hp apart and .3 ft lbs, they were very documented builds, even after I was told I was idiot by oso lol let me lol and see if sheets are saved on laptop

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I recall your engine dyno sheets being nearly identacle. How were the BSFC. I would imagine you would have caught it on dyno if there was any inconsistencies. Showing any valvetrain weaknesses etc. I had a problem with that on a build with a custom grind cam and it was a combination of aggressive lobe, springs, hyd lifters. Although springs and lifters spec'd by comp I ended up running solids and swapped the springs etc out. It was simply an unstable valvetrain.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

hoping I am worrying for nothing, If I decide to make changes many things will be checked, been problem free, hate to tear into them, but just not pleased with results at all..
Originally Posted by mmb
Check your spring pressure. That is a clear indication if your lobe is pounding your valve train to death... My springs lost 0-2 lbs after 80 hours when checked on the last set up
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 PM
mmb
Registered

I put my thoughts on the lazy performance in the other thread. Im not criticizing you at all I am just stating a fact that an agressivs lobe eats springs for breakfast. If you are loosing pressure 30+ pounds I would get the cam out asap. If its still the close to the same after your initial break in you are ok.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Don't recall the lazy performance post, been too many negative ones I try to forget... I was told these cams will cause me issues, but at the same time the people that told me that have yet to show proof of it... and I am torn on what I will be doing, changing them or keep running them...

sick of taking engines in and out of the boat..

Originally Posted by mmb
I put my thoughts on the lazy performance in the other thread. Im not criticizing you at all I am just stating a fact that an agressivs lobe eats springs for breakfast. If you are loosing pressure 30+ pounds I would get the cam out asap. If its still the close to the same after your initial break in you are ok.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 PM
mmb
Registered

I think the big duration made your airflow "lazy" with big ports/low rpm. A smaller cam would pick up port speed.. Which would translate into HP and torque.

You can either put compression in it or try to play with cams. Yes I agree bob did not do you any favors with this set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.