Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads? >

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Notices

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by chancer540
[QUOTE = Full Force ; Old engines 557 ci or 565 can't remember was 4.375 stroke, 6.385 rod .060 flat tops 9,5:1, pro comp heads 320 cc, cam was 236/[email protected] and .578 lift on a 114, same intakes, hp500 carbs 800 CFm 660tq@4200, 598hp@5250 boat went 73.7@5500 flat water actually was the best speed day, might have had more

New engines 638tq@4500, 630hp @5900 best I seen 73.1 one time mostly low 72mph....

Ok i stand corrected, it was almost 2mph. I still think you would of ended up with a hell of alot more motor and mph, putting you AFR cnc chambered heads on the old 565 with even a little bigger cam than whats in your 540. Don't take this the wrong way either, just because you have thin skin. "Again not trying to poke a battle"

I think if guys would like a easy 700hp and roughly 650 too 700 tq, to check out some bigger cubic in. engines (565,572,598's). ESPECIALLY N/A.......... Those engines seem to hit that target with relative ease. There a number of proven recipes that scream those #'s to 6000 rpm.

I hope your engines hit your marks. Your just showing us all how important cubic in. is in a N/A engines. Trying beat your old 565's POWER with smaller engines has proven to be very COSTLY. I think we all have learned that here, including me.

Again thanks for putting all this out there.[/QUOTE]
Oh I don't have thin skin, but after 2 years of people telling me how stupid they think I am it gets old, I stand my ground...

As far as putting afr heads on existing engines, it wasn't like that... tossed a rod and. Ought all new stuff, now could I have easily built 600ci ? Sure but tall decks would not fit especially with dominator jnder my hatch, I think guys see I put zero thought into what I did, actually quite oppsosite... i stated twice why I did 540's, not gonna again...

If bob m was not a horrible person to guide me wrong they would not have cost me so much $. Again, sick of defending why I did what I did...

I am doing more thought and blue printing this time then most ever do... so I hope results are better, find out soon
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
man you guys are putting salt in the wound,i don,t recall tim ever saying his old engines made less power that the 540s.that,s yesterday,s news.when this engine go around is done and exhaust system is in the budget i think he will be a happy camper.
Thanks Mike, yes 565's made a tad more TQ but less Hp, new ones were a tad less TQ, and more hp...

(Not aimed at Mike T) The numbers didn't kill my build as much as where those numbers were in powerband... that will change this time

Yes the "you should have " being told to me is old, you guys gotta get off that and move some of you... if you spent this much time and cash you would be "thin skinned" also... I am not a single young kid here with no other bills or things going on in life.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have not found another person that posted about porting the heads and such to see results... maybe I will be the first hope it's a good thread
Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
What heads did you have on your 540's in that boat? Very nice looking. Sure you've heard that more than once.
315 CNC AFR apparently before they were on the **** list......lol
Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
315 CNC AFR apparently before they were on the **** list......lol
I didn't realize they were on the poop list. That's what I wish bob would have spec'd for Tim or even 305's. I just think btwn poor intakes, 325 head results in poor velocity. I'm no expert and do not build engines professionally however have experimented in real world conditions for over 30 years. Some dyno but most knowledge I've gained is on the water. I enjoy learning new things as many of us do but some of this is very basic. I look at it as a simple funnel effect. Start from the top and work your way to the bottom and then make sure your able to get it out of the hole. Simple exhaust can be a problem chaser. What goes in must come out.

Tim I do understand you not going over and consulting with different builds from the start when you were dealing with the so called best for at least a decade it seems. Gosh for years any poor guy just asking about a cam choice thead would get dogged and considered a complete idiot if he didn't just call bob. Call bob - call bob - call bob (he will hook you up) geewiz... I even got sick of reading and hearing it. You thought about and you finally pulled the trigger. Sucks but chit happens. I honestly thought your cam specs were good in fact still do. Obviously your lobes didn't but seriously.... a litttle less lift and in my opinion woulda been right in there. Cams with 236/242 or so duration will take you to 6k easy given the right combo. All I can think of if you end up going much bigger cam with your heads could lead to disappointment.

I'm concerned with a 317 runner in a 565 which will end up closer to 325 more than likely but I have little more efficient hull and X raised. I'd either have the floors welded up with intake work as well or sell your castings and purchase some 305's.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Obviously your lobes didn't but seriously....
I thought cam motion had rendered their verdict?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't realize they were on the poop list. That's what I wish bob would have spec'd for Tim or even 305's. I just think btwn poor intakes, 325 head results in poor velocity. I'm no expert and do not build engines professionally however have experimented in real world conditions for over 30 years. Some dyno but most knowledge I've gained is on the water. I enjoy learning new things as many of us do but some of this is very basic. I look at it as a simple funnel effect. Start from the top and work your way to the bottom and then make sure your able to get it out of the hole. Simple exhaust can be a problem chaser. What goes in must come out.

Tim I do understand you not going over and consulting with different builds from the start when you were dealing with the so called best for at least a decade it seems. Gosh for years any poor guy just asking about a cam choice thead would get dogged and considered a complete idiot if he didn't just call bob. Call bob - call bob - call bob (he will hook you up) geewiz... I even got sick of reading and hearing it. You thought about and you finally pulled the trigger. Sucks but chit happens. I honestly thought your cam specs were good in fact still do. Obviously your lobes didn't but seriously.... a litttle less lift and in my opinion woulda been right in there. Cams with 236/242 or so duration will take you to 6k easy given the right combo. All I can think of if you end up going much bigger cam with your heads could lead to disappointment.

I'm concerned with a 317 runner in a 565 which will end up closer to 325 more than likely but I have little more efficient hull and X raised. I'd either have the floors welded up with intake work as well or sell your castings and purchase some 305's.
Just for the record, the bob m cams that came out of tims engines had nothing but normal witness marks on them as would any cam with 65 hours on it. They have been looked at locally as well as at cam motion.
We can argue the virtue, or lack thereof, of the lobe selection, but lets keep this factual.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Just for the record, the bob m cams that came out of tims engines had nothing but normal witness marks on them as would any cam with 65 hours on it. They have been looked at locally as well as at cam motion.
We can argue the virtue, or lack thereof, of the lobe selection, but lets keep this factual.
I didn't see the cams myself, only pictures posted of, so either the pics were extremely deceiving or camera angle/shadow etc or of different cams all together. I'm really confused now. Still waiting on comments from CM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't see the cams myself, only pictures posted of, so either the pics were extremely deceiving or camera angle/shadow etc or of different cams all together. I'm really confused now. Still waiting on comments from CM.
Cam motion reported that there is nothing wrong with the cam wear.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Registered

If the pics posted of his cams are normal for 65 hours then I'm gonna look at getting some 270/280-550/560 custom grinds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.