Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads? >

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Notices

AFR 325 flow sheets.... anyone ever flow these heads?

Old 05-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I would trust the temp gauge way more than the "laser".

The temperature of the oil exiting the bearings is hotter than the oil pan temp.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

And a "laser" or Infrared thermometer does not take the temperature just at the "laser point" It is actually transducer that reads the average of a coned shape area. They are designed to be held 8-10 inches away from surface and gives the average temp of a circle a few inches in diameter. Further away you hold the sensor from the surface, the larger of an area the sensor averages the temp. Think like a sonar or fish-finder transducer. Same principle. They also need an opaque flat surface to read properly for most part. They are a great tool if you understand the limitations. If you were shooting the pan from up by the hatch opening, it was probably averaging the temperature of probably a 1-1.5 foot diameter area which would give a low reading, even if the laser pointer was centered on the pan.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 05-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Thin steel pan seems right on with other things I have checked ......no matter what I do you and others will argue with me... I will never do it right, always be a fuk up I can make this boat run 85 with my power and you guys will say I fukked up. It is what it is...

I do know one thing, I have drive, love to learn and never give up... what I been through most guys woukd have sold by now or given up... I don't... many guys pay more money then me to well know builders and wait 2 years for engines or still have many issues... at least I have the balls to do things for myself and learn, of it costs so be it... I have had engines in and out, boated every weekend last summer, put more hours on it then most here do in 2 years... and still just chug along... put a smile on my face and go boating... I have redone things a few times while most here that bash me have yet to even get a build or project done... hate away... I don't care... I only said something because it surfaced elsewhere and I don't lie or hide things... am I sick of it? Sure... but this weekend I will be boating again and smiling... while your boats are still in a garage or winterized.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok let's move on... no big deal filters clean, cold oilnpressure is 75-80 at idle between engines no harm has been done.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Thin steel pan seems right on with other things I have checked ......no matter what I do you and others will argue with me... I will never do it right, always be a fuk up I can make this boat run 85 with my power and you guys will say I fukked up. It is what it is...

I do know one thing, I have drive, love to learn and never give up... what I been through most guys woukd have sold by now or given up... I don't... many guys pay more money then me to well know builders and wait 2 years for engines or still have many issues... at least I have the balls to do things for myself and learn, of it costs so be it... I have had engines in and out, boated every weekend last summer, put more hours on it then most here do in 2 years... and still just chug along... put a smile on my face and go boating... I have redone things a few times while most here that bash me have yet to even get a build or project done... hate away... I don't care... I only said something because it surfaced elsewhere and I don't lie or hide things... am I sick of it? Sure... but this weekend I will be boating again and smiling... while your boats are still in a garage or winterized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwS66EBUcY&app=desktop

Last edited by bck; 05-15-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force

Will you take a brake with the people bashing you I think you may like it! If you post something and I can comment on it to help you I will I am not after you one bit. I learned a lot about heat guns doing state concrete certifications and they suck.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok
Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

I might have missed recent post Tim but if I recall you were going to run two temp gauges per side. One sensor in the pan and the other at the filter head. Just wondering how they differed from one another from cruising rpm to hard run. I had my 496's set up in the pan and my water temp sensors in a tee at the block drains. Not saying either or is correct just the way I had plumbed it mainly cause of the xover and bypass set up. Regardlesss just let me know how much diff in temp you got. Finally starting to warm up here in NW Michigan. I gotta start moving rather quickly.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Plan to but have not gotten that far yet, working on the boat nonstop is getting old so at one point once it's done I am just going to go boating and do small stuff this coming winter, sick of wrenching right now lol