Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Driving thru chine walk >

Driving thru chine walk

Notices

Driving thru chine walk

Old 09-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

I went over the tabs earlier this season, they're working/indicating as they should.

Something I'm still wondering abt; should I slowly accelerate until it starts to climb up on the pad, then modulate the throttles to hold that speed or continue thru the transition then modulate the throttles once I'm on the pad?

I would like to find a speed fast enough that I would need to work the wheel to keep it balanced, but slow enough that I could chop the throttles and drop back down on the chines quickly if I got out of sync with the steering corrections.

Earlier this season I got well into the chine walk zone, started getting out of whack, chopped the throttles and still had a wild ride for the next 10 seconds or so. I'd really like to not repeat that performance.

I'm sure I'll get it down before long. It's just like removing the training wheels from your first bike,,, except you can't crash!

Cool video Boatally. Was that on Travis?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
but look out for the rocks,lol.sorry bb but it was too easy.
Some of us dont have much experience at slow speed driving and suck at it.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

You'll be fine. Just air it as mentioned by black baja. Tabs all the way up and keep trimming up until the boat gets nice and freed up. You'll feel it. You'll probably have about a 3 foot plus rooster. Just keep you fingers on your drive switches in which case you are nearing another boat wake or rough water until you get more seat time in. Some prefer to get the drives where the boat feels best and use tabs to level out or tuck the bow in. How fast you running? I wouldn't concern myself about driving through the chine walk deal. Drive the boat the way if feels best. All boats respond and handle differently.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Prev owner said it would do 83-84 mph in fresh water (89 in salt). He had installed an aftermarket speedo but it's still the pitot type.
Recently installed a GPS chartplotter. Found the speedo to be reading low by abt 4 mph when running ~40 mph.
Up around 60 the match got closer (2-3 mph). I think around 80 it's going to be pretty close. I've never got the boat above 80 mph. Chine walk starts at abt 74 mph.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I didn't see a gain going from fresh to salt.

As for how to run it I have a 32 with steps and HP500EFI motors. It may be a little like your straight bottom. Couple of things:

1) 32's will chine walk if the tabs are above level. They put stops on a lot of them.
2) I have tried everything and going higher then level doesn't get you any more speed for whatever reason.
3) if it starts to walk on you do not chop throttles, that chit will get you in trouble. Best thing is just bump your tab down and it will smooth it out or pull back smoothly.
4) if it really is a high 80's boat you are putting out some power. Should be fun.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz

Cool video Boatally. Was that on Travis?
That was recorded in Wisconsin before I moved here..
It was a 21' Checkmate with 600hp. Ran 86 MPH.. was one FUN, chinewalking handful.

I used to run it by starting with the drive trimmed all the way in, hit WOT, then slowly bump the trim up until it started to get out of control..
Eventually I added a Stern Jack and did some prop work and got it to settle down enough to stay in it as long as I wanted..
Travis was WAY too rough for it, couldn't hardly keep it on the water ...

P.S. You heading to the poker run this weekend ?
Weather permitting, I'll be out in my new boat...

Doug

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 09-13-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Got the boat ready mechanically for high speed. Got the ign tether and the life jacket. Now I need to learn how to balance the boat when it's up on the pad.

After some searching on the board I've picked up a few hints like:
Watch the bow and steer to keep it straight with quick but small corrections.
Don't trim up excessively.
Avoid boat wakes and windy days.
Try to balance the load in the boat.
Drag the tabs slightly.

Anything else?

Thx!
yes there is something else. If you want to learn and take your skill set up, take the Tres Martin class. Great program.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your top speed is more than the hull can handle. You might want to look at optimizing the length of the inter strakes.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 09-14-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:09 AM
Registered

Wildman_grafix: Prev owner thru in 2 sets of "salt" props. That may have something to do with the salt speeds he quoted me.

Mine has the tab stops. I was told NOT to remove them.
Not so sure I could reach the trim tabs button when it's in a full on chine walk. It can get pretty violent.
I've been told dropping the tabs or trimming down at high speed can cause bow steer and possibly a spin-out, so I've only been using the throttles to stop the walking.
It's a fun boat alright. It still scares me sometimes, but that's a probably a good thing.

Boatally; Love that shot of your old Checkmate. Bet that was a really fun boat in the right conditions. Between all the cruisers and wake boats on the weekends, Lake Travis can get pretty rough. For pure driving enjoyment, I prefer going out on week days.
Looks like I won't be making the poker run. Got family commitments that can't be broken. Still planning a fall run however.
Your new Velocity looks REALLY sharp! Have you decided if you're installing the monster eng?

Last edited by zz28zz; 09-14-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Registered

I've heard nothing but good things abt the Tres Martin class. Hopefully I can make that happen before long.

"Sounds like your top speed is more that the hull can handle. You might want to look at optimizing the length of the inter strakes."
This sounds like a big project considering I've never done any kind of bottom mod before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.