Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
"Besides the tendency to gall in the areas where titanium mates against steel, Bechtloff also cautions that titanium retainers should not be used with a very specific type of spring. “If you have a double nested valve spring with a damper coil in between them, that damper coil is a flat wire wound vertically. That creates an edge that can chew into the titanium retainer and cause it to fail over time. Titanium retainers and valve springs that use a damper really aren’t compatible.”
Pretty much...... I just love fixing other builders f#ck ups!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562100[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...-retainer.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, I don't see the need for TI retainers unless you're going to buzz the engine well into the 6's or 7k rpm. 6k or less, no need in my opinion.

However, I do recommend running 120 pushrods in anything performance, especially a tall deck.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Ti Retainers are a waste of time and money if you don't turn atleast 8k for extended periods. Good tool steel retainers will do everything anyone will ever need. Hell Napcar doesn't us Ti much anymore either . I do like the .120 pushrods also , but are a bit of overkill.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The bigger the wheel on the lifter the sooner it reacts to the lobe.

From Crane
Important—Lifter Wheel Size When
Choosing a Roller Grind
Our roller profiles are also designed for a particular wheel
size on the roller lifter.
Popular Wheel Diameters
.700” Used on Many Hydraulic Roller Lifters
.750” Used on Most .842” and .875” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.815” Used on Most .904” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.850” Used on Most .937” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.920” Used on Most 1.000” and 1.062” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
Consideration must be made when changing the size of the wheel from the usual diameter as this will affect the
duration of the lobes. As the wheel diameter increases the duration also increases. The duration in the lower lobe
lift areas (.001”–025”) will not change very much, as the pressure angle between the lobe in the wheel is not greatly
affected. However, at .050” lobe lift, as the wheel size increases, the duration will increase nearly two degrees
for each diameter increment as listed above. Conversely, as the wheel diameter decreases the duration will also
decrease. Lobe lift is not affected by the wheel diameter.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The bigger the wheel on the lifter the sooner it reacts to the lobe.

From Crane
Important—Lifter Wheel Size When Choosing a Roller Grind
Our roller profiles are also designed for a particular wheel size on the roller lifter.

Popular Wheel Diameters
.700” Used on Many Hydraulic Roller Lifters
.750” Used on Most .842” and .875” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.815” Used on Most .904” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.850” Used on Most .937” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
.920” Used on Most 1.000” and 1.062” Diameter Mechanical Roller Lifters
Consideration must be made when changing the size of the wheel from the usual diameter as this will affect the
duration of the lobes. As the wheel diameter increases the duration also increases. The duration in the lower lobe
lift areas (.001”–025”) will not change very much, as the pressure angle between the lobe in the wheel is not greatly
affected. However, at .050” lobe lift, as the wheel size increases, the duration will increase nearly two degrees
for each diameter increment as listed above. Conversely, as the wheel diameter decreases the duration will also
decrease. Lobe lift is not affected by the wheel diameter.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Just to give an update. I pulled my intake off of my 548 with Bob M cam and I found that the cam and lifters look just as they should. this is somewhere between 50-60 hours on the motor.

From Custom Cam thread:
Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel

2nd Bob motor build 2014:
548CI, 10.2 CR. AFR 335 full CNC heads, Edel. 454-R Dom intake, Accel 2100 CFM TB, Holley HP EFI, LS3 ignition, Same EMI Thunder long riser exhaust. Engine was a narrow peaky powerband but found the 6300 rpm peak finally with small prop. Boat ran 80 and climbing (never got peak setup/tune figured out) which requires ~700 HP with that hull, never dynoed. Promised 730-760 HP @6300 rpm. Engine had possible slight reversion. Never milked oil, but occasional steam from breathers. However, I did spec cam for full dry exhaust and was late in season when finished assy so never extended my tails through transom. Engine is on stand with probable spun rod bearing. Will be tearing apart to fix shortly and I am now interested to see what cam condition is.

8.1L firing swap core 8620
113.1 Lobe Sep
INT/EXH
Centerline 109.1/117.1
Duration 243.5/250.2
Lift .6804"/.66293"
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Just to give an update. I pulled my intake off of my 548 with Bob M cam and I found that the cam and lifters look just as they should. this is somewhere between 50-60 hours on the motor.

From Custom Cam thread:
You running the morels or johnsons? Never mind, just opened my eyes and looked at the picture. I see the morels.

So far, it seems the few cams with the wear issues, had something in common. They had the johnson lifters.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 11-28-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

you for sure were reverting water judging by the rust in the pictures.sorry to hear about your bearing issue.also i see you have the 8620 core.imo that is the only way to go for a endurance marine engine.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You running the morels or johnsons? Never mind, just opened my eyes and looked at the picture. I see the morels.

So far, it seems the few cams with the wear issues, had something in common. They had the johnson lifters.
if i remember correctly tim has johnson lifters and a cam that is not ground on an 8620 core.other than the dia of the wheel what is different on the johnson lifter?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if i remember correctly tim has johnson lifters and a cam that is not ground on an 8620 core.other than the dia of the wheel what is different on the johnson lifter?
Right , tim has the johnsons. The other cams were indeed 8620 cores, but still had the wear. I just saw some pics of cams that werent even from madera, that had this wear. They were several years old , and had been run with the morels, and no issues. After a short time of being run with the johnsons, they look like crap.

Wonder if it has something to do with the lifters. I know many never had issues with lobe wear until recently. Bob also hasnt been supplying johnson lifters until recently either.

Just trying to find what the reason for this is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.