Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Bob not one time has ever contacted me to give any reasons or advice why I am not making the good numbers I expected, plain and simple factual info..never happened
Originally Posted by getrdunn
What was bobs input regarding the outcome? If he spec'd cams based on EXACT other components used with builds and simply didn't pull expected hp to desired rpm I would imagine he'd just grind a couple others and ship out and have Tim return originals for thorough examination. Was this ever discussed? I'm just posting as a neutral party. Just seems strange how he went from cam god helping countless Oso members for many years with a pretty well proven track record to getting slammed over the last several months. I've talked to Bob a few different times and he seemed like a very stand up guy. Something going on with his health or family that is distracting his work? I sincerely hope not. Has anyone talked to him as of recent?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sick of his bs, I blocked him and buck soni dont get tossed off site for responding to them, actually made this post to get answers not a pizzing match
Originally Posted by SB
Couldn't be any further from the truth. He is very competent. Yes, I know.

Gay ? Really ? Name calling......just not right.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

True, was hoping to get some long term success story's, yet to see that, nice to know I get to take apart good running engines to cerify they are ok when the goal was to leave them alone, guys can say I'm whining but whatever... You should not have to tear apart a Hyd. Roller engine that runs fine at 65 hours just to check things... If i was making 800 hp and maxed out that's different..

Originally Posted by mmb
There is some serious "voodoo" in here.... its just a cam. If you monitor your spring pressures you will know if a cam is hard on valve train WAY WAY WAY before there is any damage.

Its really pretty simple. Spring pressure drops 5-10lbs every time you check them? You have an aggressive lobe. Spring pressure is always the same? Everything in your valvetrain is happy.

You dont need to hear what billy or bob ran for x amount of hours.... You just need to pay attention to what is goung on in your engine.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My goal of this thread was not to start a Bob bash thread, but he was directly involved chosing the heads,cam and valvetrain used here, knowing my shortblock and induction used, his name will come up, good and bad, if he did you well...that's great... he did not do me well, I spent 35,000.00 to have the rights to complain, public or not..

That being said, anyone here feel free to also PM Brian Orlandi, he had a half dozen engines with issues, valves being beat into seats, he backed bob to the point of wars between him and others, and even to get banned here, find out a month later he had issues that he HID from internet, and Bob made him think it was him, turns out it was BOBS CAMS, that is one of a few builders that seen it, my point is to see if in fact my cams are close or same as those builds, trying to get that info....guess who don't like Bob now, and Brian was his BIGGEST supporter!!!!

So take this as a Bob bash thread if you like, I am looking at it as I WANT FACTS thread, of course I don't get that, I am labeled the whiner or trouble maker... I challenge anyone to be in my shoes and just "be happy it runs" that will never happen...

So... who has FACTS here?? FACT
Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Totally understand what you mean here.

Now, what if a bigger cam than that makes more power at your 5200-6200 ? Even though hp keeps rising even further past the other cam that builds power past where it will be run WOT ?

Where do you stop with going larger ? If it keeps making more power where you want it ?

It's a good discussion what you brought up.
I'm sure you'll get to a point, that the torque loss at low rpm, and idle quality, begins to degrade too much, to where , you simply went to far. I think in my example, the cam swap was for the better in that application.

I always wondered why, we should prop the boat, 1000 RPM higher than peak torque, and how peak torque, should be at 4000-4500 . WHY?

Why do we need peak torque to occur that early, and start falling off after that? If people say "torque spins the prop", than wouldn't we want torque to increase, not decrease when the throttles are held on the dash?

I do remember the days of installing cams with way to much duration, not enough compression, a crappy carb/ignition setup, and generally, a soggy street engine. But lately, I am thinking, that most fear duration a little too much. Alot of guys are running BIG engines these day. 540, 565, 572, 598, etc. If theres any engine out there , that can deal with a little extra duration, without such drastic side effects, its a big ci big block chevy. I've seen a few of them, with some cams that have alot of duration, idle very well, which shocked me .

I'm sure a 29ft'er with a single engine, might not want to trade off low speed torque. Lets say, a 29ft fountain with a single 540. He might need max torque down low, to get some good planing, and acceleration. He only has 650ft lbs available per say. Now, a twin engine 32 Fountain, with a pair of 540's in it? Install a pair of those same 540's in it, now he has 1300FT lbs on tap, in a hull that weighs a little more than that 29 single. That guy, could lose 50ft lbs a side, for a gain in upper rpm power, still have a boat that accelerates like a banshee, and screams at top speed as well.

I think that when a builder is building a combo, or a engine developer is spec'ing out a build, should consider the hull/application that the engines are going in, and focus on the actual performance of the boat, not just spec the perfect engine combo for the dyno. A big block chevelle that see's track only use, shouldnt get the same cam/heads, etc , as the one that gets to the track once a year, and 95% is going to car shows and ice cream parlors.

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I really think that's the case here Joe, how many mistress's or flat decks did he spec? Cafe? Or apaches... Heavy old slugs that need low end grunt to get moving let alone pull up top.. My boat does not come up and moving like a 383 formula that sighs similar with steps...
Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

I've done that w/ bbc's,,keep upping the duration.started to run out of boat.my 454's w/ oval ports.I stopped around 254ish on the intake.but I did have some compression in all the engines,and basically middle of the road ramp speeds.sure I gave up 5-20hp but those suckrs are still running.
my current engines,10yrs and the springs are still holding original spring pressures,,isky cams and lifters.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I really think that's the case here Joe, how many mistress's or flat decks did he spec? Cafe? Or apaches... Heavy old slugs that need low end grunt to get moving let alone pull up top.. My boat does not come up and moving like a 383 formula that sighs similar with steps...
any tq more than stock merc is gonna get the boat moving.most aggressive builds are still way ahead tq wise at the merc rpm.not sure you can even screw up that much,,maybe chief heads on a 7.5-1 454.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

We all want "custom" cams to suit our "custom" engine combo. Why not take it a step further, and build a "custom" engine combo, tailored to our particular boat.

Tim's boat, is a heavy old slug for sure. I could be wrong, but my guess, is TIM, isn't drag racing anyone on lake erie. Initially, we think torque torque torque. While I certainly agree that he needs torque, I feel he needs MORE torque, at wide open throttle. Having that torque peak occur at 4200RPM, and start falling off, isn't doing him any good at 5500rpm when he's chasing a top speed number.

IMO, he needs more torque, but not down low. He needs more torque, from say, 4800-5800. A smaller cam, aimed to build even more low speed torque, isn't going to help his top speed.

Tim, look at your dyno sheet. You're torque peaks at 4400, making 638FT lbs, and starts falling off from there.By 5500RPM, youre engine is only making 594ft lbs of torque. Going to a longer duration cam, may make the torque peak at 5000, and at 5500, you might be making 650FT lbs. (680hp at 5500). Do you want your engine to make more physical power at wide open throttle rpm, or less?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exactly that's why way back I said the engines dont make the tq to get me too speed range, old engines peaked tq at 4400, hp at 5250... Boat ran STRONG all the way to 5500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.