Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift... >

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Notices

Cam and valvetrain longevity....??? low duration high lift...

Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
In response to post just above , hook vacuum gauge under carb and see what the vac is at WOT andtop rpm. This will tell you if carb is a decent restriction or not. Most carbs don't flow as advertised...just to add to confusion.
Originally Posted by donzi matt
I know, but one of your what ifs is if your exhaust is holding you back. Dyno headers might have quantified that. Did you guys happen to log vacuum on the dyno? That would tell you if your carbs are holding you back.
Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Yes. This. Manifold vacuum readings at WOT would be real easy to confirm this.
Glad to see others onto this also.

Originally Posted by donzi matt
No matter what is going on with the cams, 1.7" vacuum at WOT is NFG and holding you back. I'd start with bigger carbs and see how it responds if it was me before trying anything else.
Yup, no good. 4bbl carb's are rated at 1.5"Hg, and at that # they are too big of restriction. +/- a few tenths from 1.0"HG is good and usually not worth chasing for less restriction.

And that 1.7"HG on the dyno.

In an enclosed engine compartment this # can get even worse.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 PM
SB
Registered

FF - just to make this part clear.

Again, 4bbl carb's are rated at 1.5"HG restriction.

Your carb registered 1.7"HG. The dyno measured 850cfm.

So, I hate to break it too you, if that dyno's airflow meter is correct,your carb is smaller than 850cfm.

Originally Posted by SB
In response to post just above , hook vacuum gauge under carb and see what the vac is at WOT andtop rpm. This will tell you if carb is a decent restriction or not. Most carbs don't flow as advertised...just to add to confusion.

Last edited by SB; 09-21-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Theres also more to it, than just a vacuum reading. Even IF you were to get it down to 0 vacuum, which is nearly impossible, it doesn't do any good, if the carb's not atomizing the fuel properly. You may actually see a LOSS in power.

This is why, slapping a 1050 dominator on a 330 merc engine, would produce unsatisfactory performance. Just because the manifold vacuum is very low, doesn't necessarily mean, more power.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:02 PM
SB
Registered

.75"HG to 1.1/1.2 "HG will typically be fine with carburetor metering.

Metering well under .75"HG usually requires a carb guy on his game.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Theres also more to it, than just a vacuum reading. Even IF you were to get it down to 0 vacuum, which is nearly impossible, it doesn't do any good, if the carb's not atomizing the fuel properly. You may actually see a LOSS in power.

This is why, slapping a 1050 dominator on a 330 merc engine, would produce unsatisfactory performance. Just because the manifold vacuum is very low, doesn't necessarily mean, more power.
Is that why you can throw a match in a can of gas and it goes out instead of boom?

Look at bck's thread from a while back when he posted results for us on his 548?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Registered

There is clearly a restriction in this combo and until it gets figured out then larger cam is useless. I'd bet less cam at this point would make more power. But sounds like he's off to a car project and wait til refresh.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Registered

I would be willing to bet that cam with 305 or 315 cnc heads and 454 R intake and dominator would bring it to life.

Although yes I get it. Cam was spec'd for his parts. That obviously went wrong.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Registered

Before we get too excited, anyone see my post earlier, about the throttle cable issue on the same dyno? That would certainly have an effect on tims dyno number if in fact, thats what was happening, but not in the boat. Throttle controls when using a servo, can fuk up. I like when some shops mount a camera above the throttle plates during a dyno pull, where you can see creep back.

A more common cause for both the low measured air flow and vacuum would be that the carburetor was not mechanically at WOT during the pull. Sometimes it is hard to get good carburetor travel with the available leverage and linkage. Older dyno's with the water piston used to creep all the time and loose the WOT during a test session, even the newer ones with servo or cable linkages can creep or loose the WOT capability.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Registered

I was pro 4500 dominator on this build from the get go, so don't get me wrong. I'd still like to see a dominator on it.

Tim, mount a vacuum gauge on it in the boat. See what you have. Then try the flame arrestors off. See what you have. Then crack the hatch open, and see what you have.

This would be alot easier if you had daytona sensors boxes using a map sensor, and data logging this stuff.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Tim- what are you using for arrestors? I was loosing 3-4 mph with HP 500 arrestors compared to no arrestors on my 650 hp 509's. Like mild said above, if you haven't tried running it without them on do it. If you gain- you know that's at least part of your issue and a easy fix. I ended up going to 10X5 gaffrigs and that problem is now solved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.