Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I do believe I got bit by my purchase... >

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Notices

I do believe I got bit by my purchase...

Old 06-10-2017, 04:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
What's your method of getting a tune without a wideband?
Wot? No O2 sensors? We're doomed.

How did we survive the past 100 years tuning our engines without O2 sensors?

Reading spark plugs and tweaking carburetors may be a lost art but it does work.

If 92cobalt243 wants to incur the added expense of a wideband/O2 set-up then he should do it. When
properly used it will give the information needed to tune his engine to perfection. Provided of course
that he knows how to use that information. It might even jump out of the engine compartment and tell
him his carburetor is too small.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
I wonder if they make them with a slight wedge shape to them. Cuz you're raising the whole Riser up a good inch. But if the back was only up three quarters of an inch the outlet of the Riser would be sloped pretty much back down to where it belongs to connect up with all your exhaust plumbing.
I was really thinking of capt call-type situations where there is little to no wiggle room...literally.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost forgot that I had to Yamabond the studs that had somewhat stripped which are at the riser gasket joint...along with a "one off" EMI Thunder spacer being upwards of $200...I'm going to keep it simple. Like my motor guy said "tweak it pig rich until it doesn't run so good and lean it back a bit". Then I'll go buy a bigger carb 😂
Old 07-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to wrap up...the Edelbrock 1410 is big enough, just not with the stock rod/jet calibration. Went 1 stage richer (4%) in both power and cruise modes and the boat runs great...hesitation/miss is gone and the calibration kit #1480 has parts to get me to 3 stages rich (12%). I'll keep checking the plugs and make adjustments as needed. Currently on adjustment #10...
%5BURL=http://s690.photobucket.com/user/DWB57/media/IMG_2795_1.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/DWB57/IMG_2795_1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
Thanks.

Last edited by 92cobalt243; 07-21-2017 at 08:46 AM.