Alignment question with off shore mounts >

Alignment question with off shore mounts

Notices

Alignment question with off shore mounts

Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question with off shore mounts

Pulled my motor out in july for a rebuild. Drive came off pretty easily. Fast forward to now. Dropped the motor back in on Sunday. Didnt think to bring my alignment tool. But figured there was no adjustment anyways. Well now i cant het the alignment tool to go in. Hits the splines on the coupler and just stops. Motor mount on front is a solid tube. Rear bolts are in correctly. What gives?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you missing some spacers in the rear mounts.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

is the coupler to high, low, left or right, there is a fiber washer that go on top of the inner transom plate,

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 10-13-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Registered

Fiber washers and the funky double lock washer are both in. From what i can tell the tool is hitting the bottom of the coupler. Going to buy a dowell and stick in there to help pinpoint it but i dont have any adjustment.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hang front of engine from hoist, remove mount bolts, adjust up/down until alignment tool goes in properly, then you found your alignment. If your engine needs to come up a little in the front, you might be able to make a shim for between the block, and mounting pad on the engine plate. Otherwise, you may have to redrill the angle mounts on the stringers .
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Registered

Does it make sense that id have to make a shim or re drill the holes though? Everythng was fine before. Frustrating to say the least cause i have to wait till a weekend to borrow a buddies forklift and will be gone this weekend so cant do anything till the following weekend.

The motor is currently at TDC so i could drop the dist. In. Would rotating the crankshaft do anything? Im grasping at straws here but i dont understand how anything could have changed
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Your installation looks like this ??
Attached Thumbnails Alignment question with off shore mounts-image.jpg  
Old 10-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
Does it make sense that id have to make a shim or re drill the holes though? Everythng was fine before. Frustrating to say the least cause i have to wait till a weekend to borrow a buddies forklift and will be gone this weekend so cant do anything till the following weekend.

The motor is currently at TDC so i could drop the dist. In. Would rotating the crankshaft do anything? Im grasping at straws here but i dont understand how anything could have changed
Was it properly aligned before ? How are the stringers ?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Registered

Yes sir. My son and i had to actually pull the motor back up cause one of fiber washers slipped the first time.

In my infinate wisdom last night i over torqued one of the rear bolts and stripped out the nut which i plan to replace but i dont think that is the issue as it wouldnt align before, during, or after the torqueing. Looks like i can replace the nut without lifting the motor.

If for what ever reason i do have to pull it again im ordering all new hardware even though everything looked fine to me.

Really pissed at myself for not grabbing the tool. I just dont understand how it could be off as there really isnt any adjustment.

If spinning the motor doesnt do anything. Im gonna loosen all the bolts and try to carefully take the weight off with the forklift and see if that does anything i guess

At least i didnt take the plate off the intake yet. FML.

Last edited by cabin fever; 10-13-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Registered

Never checked alignment before since only had the boat a year but the drive came off easily and the coupler looks fine. Everything i have checked looks solid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.