Goodmorning from Italy! >

Goodmorning from Italy!

Notices

Goodmorning from Italy!

Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodmorning from Italy!

Goodmorning everyone! I apologize for the way I write, but with the language, but they are not good at writing in the language.

I am Massimo and I am writing from Monza (Italy)

I have a RIB FOCCHI 730 EFB, (typical Italian fast inflatable boats ..)
with 377 mercruiser MPI.
Surely I will put photos in the coming days.

I have a problem with installing the module MSD 6M-2L and MSD Blaster SS.
All instructions indicate signs for EFI but no indicating instructions for MPI.

I hope some of you can help!
Thank you all!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi There, Just a few questions to start off with for you.

1) What year is the Mercruiser engine? Better yet, do you have the engine serial number handy? https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/art...serial-numbers

2) Is the engine stock OEM or has it been upgraded in performance?

3) How come are you switching from the Mercruiser OEM ignition system whether it be least likely Mercruiser Thunderbolt ignition system or the more probable later designed Ignition system called the HVS (High Voltage Switch) which uses a Crank Shaft Position Sensor and possibly a CAM Shaft Position Sensor as well. http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f80cb36d1

4) Is the Mercruiser MPI wiring harness stock or modified somehow?

5) Posting photos of the overall engine may help give a better idea of what you got going on there.

If still using the Mercruiser 555 ECM, pretty sure that system isn't going to adapt over with an MSD 6M-2L and MSD Blaster SS type system.

Last edited by lakematdude; 10-21-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Registered

Hello!
The engine is 2007, her S / N is 0W669376
I modified the engine with cams cod. 08-418-8 (comp cams)
tougher valve springs and rocker arms.
I also replaced the air filter with a more open.
I have the opportunity to enrich the fuel through Magnum tuning (maybe)

My ignition system provides for Cam position sensor (hall effect in the original distributor), coil driver, coil, Crankshaft Position Sensor and CME 0501 (Motorola)

the wiring harness is stock.

I must to wait for the photo, but in the meantime we have some more elements to help

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

you have the stock ECM 555 installed and with the stock tune ??? if so its not going to work period and I am 100 percent about it..

also

Ciao ora e' il momento di venire negli Stati Uniti e votare per Trump

Last edited by BUP; 10-21-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 AM
Registered

guys do not understand! you can have some information in more?
thank you!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAS51
guys do not understand! you can have some information in more?
thank you!
Sorry to be the one to say this But unfortunately with the electronics systems your mechanical Throttle and Shift MERCRUISER 6.2 MPI BRAVO engine model number 4R42027US 'That uses the ECM # 555 was really only meant to be combined with the HVS distributor ignition system as they were a matched system from Mercruiser internally for these engine models. The odds of making the MSD system work are Very 'Very slim to none and chances are very 'very low that someone has attempted to combine the two systems either here on Off Shore Only or any other boating forum that I'm aware of.

Since you're attempting this ignition swap, Just for an open minded general conversation, what sort of issues are you experiencing at the moment?

Also, Are you aware that since you have a Crank Shaft Sensor & CAM Shaft Sensor, The ignition timing adjustment procedure has changed as most know it to be.... The distributor does not get timed by way of using a timing light anymore... 'Rather the distributor needs to be Phased into the proper settings of how the manufacture designed the distributor system to work on certain designed engine models which I can only guess that the MSD system Might or Might-Not be a bit different than the (GM) HVS distributor system....In other words, if the distributor marks are off (and not just where the rotor points to cylinder number 1 at the cap), the engine may not run correctly "Should" everything else you connected wiring wise actually somehow be in normal working order to the Mercruiser OEM electronic system.

Last edited by lakematdude; 10-22-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:02 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

This should be the harness you need:
http://documents.msdperformance.com/8877.pdf
This also shows wiring diagram.

I found this looking for the harness + instructions needed for the MSD6A (vehicle) to the 96-2000 Chevy Vortec 5.7 which uses the same distributor and coil your boat has.

Just make sure your 6ML-2 has same wire color coding as the 6A box.

Note: I have not installed one on your type engine (IE: Mercruiser with this ignition / computer system), therefore, all I have done is helped look up parts / diagram for something similar. You must do your own homework to make sure this is correct.

Here's a vid of what it looks on a truck with a 6A,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfe0eeQuAY
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ECM 555 controls spark and timing the HVS only sends the spark. That's why the HVS has to be phased correctly (cam angle) so it can send spark to correct cyc

Timing is not adjustable for all ECM 555 and of course PCM 555 Mercruisers
Old 10-22-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

guys, thank you very much at all.
My only problem now is just be very rich below 3000 rpm.
Unfortunately I understand that the distributor I have to keep using the original ok ..

The video, however, shows that with the proper connection, I can connect.
The color of the wires can guarantee you that corresponds with 6M 2L. (Thanks very much SB video was important to me)

at this point, since the coil in the video they arrive 2 wires (orange and black), they correspond to the connection to the Blaster SS Coil MSD.
I could connect the white and red wires to the system connector in the correct order, and the orange and black wires to the MSD coil (excluding the original one)
So I would have the unaltered electronic management (coil driver still connected) and the system of "power" modified MSD.
It might work...

ye are satisfied with MSD ignition system ??
Old 10-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Registered

Today I made the tests (of course thanks to the video and at your help ..)

the engine seems to start and it sounds like a violin, without any error in smartcraft .. what do you say? I try to go in the water?

the original coil was not removed, so in case of problem I can always return to the original configuration and return to base ..

if all goes well .. the color of the spark plug will give me the final verdict.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.