700 sci shift interrupt switch >

700 sci shift interrupt switch

Notices

700 sci shift interrupt switch

Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 700 sci shift interrupt switch

Has anybody had problems with the shift interrupt switch on their 700? Last year my one engine would stumble and stall in reverse, I adjusted the shift linkage and problem solved. This year it started again but now in forward and reverse. Changed the switch out for a new one and it worked for a while, but has now started to give me problems again. When I disconnect the switch boat idles fine in forward and reverse, but I Really do not think I should run with the switch disconnected. I have moved the switch back as far as the slots will allow. Maybe The new switch is bad? Maybe the switch plate is cast with the valleys for the switch to sit in a little high? Maybe it is something else alltogether like the TPS? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mark.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

This sounds random but .......Has the engine that stalls ever been removed from the boat? If so check the ground stud on the back of the block. Tight and clean.?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Boat and engines new last year, everything is clean and tight.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove em and run it.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bajajay98
Remove em and run it.
Not sure if that is such as a good idea as I assume they are there to make life a liitle easier for the transmissions.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have the same issue. I have a 2009 model and the previous owner had the issue and disconnected them. I have had them worked on twice since and they still don't work. so they are disconnected.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Thanks Mspdoc, well that is two replies for disconnecting them. I kind of agree that there would be little if any damage done to transmissions as long as shifting was done at idle. I am just a little nervous about disconnecting stuff Mercury puts in place as a safegaurd to prevent possible damage. Looks like I may be disconnecting them as well unless I find the issue that is causing them to fail, or if I hear that someone had major damage after disconnecting them. Thanks guys.

Mark
Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you ever find the correct repair, please let me know. I have not had a problem disconnecting them but I just like all my stuff working correctly so it bugs me.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 AM
Registered

Listen, I'm all about if it's there use it. But if it's an on going problem and your just throwing money at it, and all of your shifts are and should be at idle then I don't see a problem. The transmissions hold 700's at high load/ high speed. Why not a shift at 650-800rpm. Better than having a stall at the dock in wind or heavy current ........
Old 10-25-2016, 06:35 AM
Registered

Like mspdoc says I like to have all my stuff working properly and it bugs me when they are not. But as you say Bajajay98 transmissions can take an idle shift and I do not need any added stress while docking, had a few aborted attempts last summer due to this issue. I will look at it a little closer in the spring, swap switches between engines, check the shift plate a little closer. If I can not find any reason then as you guys are suggesting "remove em and run it" .