Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Why don't boats have multi-speed transmissions? >

Why don't boats have multi-speed transmissions?

Notices

Why don't boats have multi-speed transmissions?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
One of my favorite lake boats ever. Those tunnel hulls are gorgeous and everybody knows what's up when you hit that key. It's been forever since I've been in a V drive. Can you actually feel it shift?

I never thought about it much but any final gearing is determined by the power available and torque needed and a transmission just reduces loads until you get to that point. On a heavy boat the prop just slips up to that point like a viscous coupler.
it is a full manual valve body, so you shift like a drag car, it hits very hard when you pull the lever, originally the used a std jet boat shifter, looked at that and made a center console and used a winters drag race shifter that works like a champ, another big plus is giving you reverse which with a V-drive is a great deal
Old 11-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
it is a full manual valve body, so you shift like a drag car, it hits very hard when you pull the lever, originally the used a std jet boat shifter, looked at that and made a center console and used a winters drag race shifter that works like a champ, another big plus is giving you reverse which with a V-drive is a great deal
I assume there is no torque converter? Is there a coupler in its place? Sorry just not familiar.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I assume there is no torque converter? Is there a coupler in its place? Sorry just not familiar.
you are correct, Art Carr still builds the trans, Hallett and a couple others still use them, but its just a drive hub bolted to a special flywheel with a hub that drives the ft pump
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Xtreme Marine Transmisions

COA-281110
COA-281110

"XTREME MARINE TECHNOLOGY 2 SPEED" POWERSHIFT XMT, 1.375 26 SPLINE SUPER ALLOY INPUT SHAFT, 1.375 32 SPLINE OUTPUT SHAFT, 1480 SERIES COMPANION FLANGE, HIGH VOLUME PUMP, DEEP SUMP HIGH CAPACITY OIL PAN. 1.82 LOW, 1.61 REV RATIO
Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

COAN Marine Two Speed Trans, Jim Lee ran them in Freedom 46 Skater for years