Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Has anyone ever... >

Has anyone ever...

Notices

Has anyone ever...

Old 10-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if conditions were tha same with both oils what was the reason for temperature differance. Less friction or able to disipate heat quicker or ? Just got me to thinking. If is from less friction wonder how much HP this would =? Glad all is back to normal.

I never have really tried synthetics because of cost and you change the oil so often. I have not had any oil related trouble with dino oil either. But threads like this one start me thinking maybe I should.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

I just switched on a break in engine from Pennzoil HD 40 to Valvoline 20W50 Racing and saw a 40 degree oil temp drop at WOT. So much for my theory on oils. I also change every 10 hrs.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Registered

I've used Valvoline 20-50 Racing and had never had an oil consumption problem.......except when I had that hole in the piston!!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:24 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew a guy that added slick 50 to his engine and saw an increase in oil consumption. We concluded that the marginal oil ring wasn't able to scrape the slicker oil off the cylinder wall. Never knew if the consumption went back down.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Brad Perry

Hey Blown,

They make an additive guaranteed to stop up those pesky piston holes! Just pour a can of Play-Dough in there.