Roller rocker debate >

Roller rocker debate

Notices

Roller rocker debate

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Roller rocker debate

I am finishing up my 489s. Cam is .547 .547 112lsa 230/236 with eq 320 heads. My debate is what rockers to go with. I am looking at comp pro magnums, harland diamonds, and scorpion marine. Also up in the air on 1.7 vs 1.8 or even a combo of both. Whats your take??
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Go with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers. They are better than aluminum rockers for the following reasons- Better fatigue resistance, rebuildable, lighter over the nose, less bulky, and I'm sure a few other good reasons. Also the price will be on par with the better aluminum rockers.

On my old engines I broke a Crane Gold and I didn't have that many hours on the rockers. My new engines have the Comp Stainless Steel rockers, which are no longer available. Either way after my experience with Golds and what I've discussed with a few guys, I'll never run aluminum rockers again!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have very little expertise on the matter, but after some research I went with the Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnums. I'm just more comfortable with steel as all.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This is like asking if fords or Chevys are better.

Whatever you decide, make sure the setup / geometry works out correctly. I'd bet that lots of valvetrain failures are due to poor setup as apposed to aluminum vs. Steel or brand vs. Brand.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Go with the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers. They are better than aluminum rockers for the following reasons- Better fatigue resistance, rebuildable, lighter over the nose, less bulky, and I'm sure a few other good reasons. Also the price will be on par with the better aluminum rockers.

On my old engines I broke a Crane Gold and I didn't have that many hours on the rockers. My new engines have the Comp Stainless Steel rockers, which are no longer available. Either way after my experience with Golds and what I've discussed with a few guys, I'll never run aluminum rockers again!
For some reason I think I remember that day. Never gave it much thought though. I've ran cranes golds for over 30 plus years and never had a problem but that's certainly not to say there's much better out there now. I've just never had an issue with them in fact just bought a new set of 1.8's for dyno testing only. I've looked at the ultra pro mags for new builds and seem pretty nice.

What ever OP does just stay away from the import 125.00 set of rockers. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone. Amazing how many of those big hp engines you see on the net selling cheap use all those components though. Buyer looks at price and power. Not cool. OP your cam is on the small side but should help save your drive among other things. You propping for 5200-5400.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly

This is like asking if fords or Chevys are better.

Whatever you decide, make sure the setup / geometry works out correctly. I'd bet that lots of valvetrain failures are due to poor setup as apposed to aluminum vs. Steel or brand vs. Brand.
I read an article from a reputable builder the other day and they said 80-90 % of engine failures stem from poor valvetrain geometry and stability.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mggdoors
I am finishing up my 489s. Cam is .547 .547 112lsa 230/236 with eq 320 heads. My debate is what rockers to go with. I am looking at comp pro magnums, harland diamonds, and scorpion marine. Also up in the air on 1.7 vs 1.8 or even a combo of both. Whats your take??
of the three the comp pro magnum is the best imo.edit in,for your application any of the three will work ,also i wolud go 1.7 ratio.

Last edited by mike tkach; 01-04-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32

Part number #1826. I see they come in 1.6's also. Hmmm. Might be worth buying a set and installing on your intakes while your out of town.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I was thinking comp ultras myself for reliability standpoint. I hear 1.8 causes more sideloading. Should i stay away from those or chase the power
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mggdoors
I was thinking comp ultras myself for reliability standpoint. I hear 1.8 causes more sideloading. Should i stay away from those or chase the power
If you want 1 mph go for it but the extra load on the lifters won't be worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.