Afr heads with PAC 8002 spring upgrade.

Notices

Afr heads with PAC 8002 spring upgrade.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I know this , you know this, some others know this, but many , have taken someones word, that they do not need to be checked, and are in fact ready to run, or "race ready" , and bolt them on and go. Sometimes it works, sometimes , it doenst.

Yes, one set of tims heads, cam with solid roller springs. Something like 700lb open pressure if i recall
I took that word, even after asking twice "just bolt on and go?" I was told yes custom built .
Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
That can be the case, but when I bought my heads from MK, he did the 8002 spring upgrade according to my paperwork, he told me it was upgrade, so if thats also .650 lift max then WHY is he using them springs when he knew my heads were going in a boat, and also 680 lift? the post is not to start a pizzing match about Bob or anyone, just info I found out.after this winter and round of upgrafdes I will have 8000+ into a set of bolt on ready to go MARINE AFR heads...

I want people to be aware when being sold products, I can care less who is selling them, just a informational post.

Bob recommended Isky "tool room" springs for my build with WAY less cam..

....but I didn't buy my heads from Marine Kinetics either...

Don't feel too bad Tim.. My AFR heads were sold to me as "bolt on ready" for a marine hydraulic roller application as well...
Turned out they had solid roller springs and didn't even have Inconel exhaust Valves..
Brian Alfry is a lying POS....

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 01-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Esp chamber to chamber. Some castings can vary a little from chamber to chamber CC wise. Same thing with ports. They dont always measure what the box says. I havent measured an afr , but according to tony mamo, the 325 afr, actually pours around 317cc
well thats a good thing,,better csa.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the 8002 spring is for a max lift of .650..
well not if they set the seat pressure at like 145-150lbs,,that might get you the extra .030".

did anyone ever measure the installed height and seat pressure?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

what i am saying is it is not a mk thing,you could have bought your heads from jeg,s or summit and had the same issue.i think we all have learned from tim,s mishap.the afr heads i have used that came from mk all had the isky tool steel spring up grade but most don,t want to spend the extra cash so they go with a cheeper spring.i understand the idea that your retailer should know better than to sell product,s that need changes before they should be used.we all know that rarely happens and us as end user,s need to really do our homework.i agree that if a guy is putting a package togeather and that guy gathers all the information for his build he should not sell a guy a head with a spring setup for a max lift of .650 and then sell him a cam with .681 lift.do you think the guy behind the phone at jeg,s would have made a mistake like that?imo i think it happen,s a lot.

Last edited by mike tkach; 01-21-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling,i suck at it.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
well not if they set the seat pressure at like 145-150lbs,,that might get you the extra .030".

you should not need to but it appears that you can,t trust anyone these days.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
what i am saying is it is not a mk thing,you could have bought your heads from jeg,s or summit and had the same issue.i think we all have learned from tim,s mishap.the afr heads i have used that came from mk all had the isky tool steel spring up grade but most don,t want to spend the extra cash so they go with a cheeper spring.i understand the idea that your retailer should know better than to sell product,s that need changes before they should be used.we all know that rarely happens and us as end user,s need to really do our homework.i agree that if a guy is putting a package togeather and that guy gathers all the information for his build he should not sell a guy a head with a spring setup for a max lift of .650 and then sell him a cam with .681 lift.do you think the guy behind the phone at jeg,s would have made a mistake like that?imo i think it happen,s a lot.
You have to admit, bob was spec'ing my builds and put together the package, summing or kegs does not design my build, that the only reason MK was mentioned as he was supposed to be much more then a person selling parts as summit or jegs does. I certainly didn't cheap out either I spent 35,000 in parts to build 540's new that's no labor, money was not the issue for valve springs at all.

Now if I called afr direct and said I was using the heads in a marine engine ad they sent that, I would replace the MK with AFR, just a thread for info no matter where guys get heads.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I was not aware that you could get isky tool room springs shipped and installed with the afr heads ..thats a good thing

Our buddy got afr 315 heads from Bob. Upgrade to inconel valves, and #8002 spring "upgrade", which are the cheaper PAC springs. They were for a 1000hp forced induction build.
Attached Thumbnails Afr heads with PAC 8002 spring upgrade.-screenshot_2017-01-21-11-11-19.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I ordered my heads direct from AFR. If you tell them what spring pressures you need they will tell you if they have them. If what they have will not work you will have to supply your own.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I believe the springs where checked twice for pressures....ie: both times the heads came off.

If they weren't checked for coil bind , I would be shocked......but I'm not sure if that was mentioned anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.