Trim Tabs quesitons >

Trim Tabs quesitons

Notices

Trim Tabs quesitons

Old 01-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trim Tabs quesitons

Let me start by saying this is my first boat of any kind and it does not have trim tabs on it. I have not had my boat out yet so I do not know how it currently handles. It is a 30ft advantage deep V with a single outdrive. I have read on the subject but wanted to hear what some of you might suggest for size or if I even need them. Is there something particular I should be looking for in the handling of the boat that would suggest I need these or would they just be an upgrade to the boat? There also seems to be a big difference in materials and costs as well but would assume a billet version would be preferred, but open to see what peoples experiences are? This will mainly be a Lake Tahoe boat so it will need to handle some decent swell at times
thanks
Scott
Old 01-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Tabs aren't necessary. I have owned boats with out them. They are beneficial. They can help with the attitude of the boat as far as keeping bow up and down. Also on plane if the weight is not evenly distributed instead of asking people to switch sides you can correct easily with tab.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Nothing wrong with above post but I wouldn't consider having a boat without. Reasons listed above.... some boats have a tendency to porous etc at various rpm's and speeds. Tabs help with that also without having to tuck your drive all the way in. I had 28 saber with a single and couldn't imagine not having tabs. 280's perfect. Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I hate when boat runs like a Driver in Detroit behind the wheel of a 225. The Detroit lean. Lol
Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Baja 260 did not have any tabs when I got it. I pieced together a set of K-planes mostly from parts on ebay for a reasonable cost. Now, I couldn't imagine having the boat without them. They can really help getting on plane and help take some bite out of the bigger waves. I am adjusting mine all the time because I usually have a bunch of people with me and they never stay still.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Registered

Thanks for the responses guys, this is the kind of information I was looking for. Now I do see why the billet ones are more expensive and they do look much nicer than say the steel sheet metal ones. I would probably just save up and get a good set but does anyone have any experience with these http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...gh-performance?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I would definitely want tabs on a 30' performance boat, or any boat for that matter.

I had 280's on my 24 Superboat and 380's on my 30' Super.

I have these tabs http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...abs/heavy-duty on my 30' center console. After having k-planes on my previous boats I was skeptical about these tabs. But I have to say they get the job done.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Drive it, get used to it and enjoy it before spending more money. It's real easy to spend money on these things and you never get it back. Just learn a bit more, mix with other boaters and let someone else drive, see what they think.

There are still some manufacturers who don't put tabs on everything, I don't think the 29 Active Thunder has tabs does it? Never read a negative comment on any AT. Just hold off for a while, you can always do it next season if nec.

Congrats on the purchase!

RR
Old 01-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Call Bob Sepulvada at Advantage boats. I bet he will tell you that there is no benefit to tabs on most of their hulls.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
Call Bob Sepulvada at Advantage boats. I bet he will tell you that there is no benefit to tabs on most of their hulls.
Thanks for the info, my plan is to take it out without before I do anything. Thanks for the input will have to wait till spring to try it out, but at least we should have plenty of water with all this snow we got in the Tahoe area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.