Rigging/plumbing things >

Rigging/plumbing things

Notices

Rigging/plumbing things

Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

also clear hose testing thru out the cooling system can and or will tell you a lot. You do not want air bubbles or water flow to back up
Old 02-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
You can do water output volume tests right off the impeller housing per Mercruiser specs for non closed and closed cooled engines. Water flow volume is the numbers you are looking for to be within spec rather than water pressure.
I think the minimum spec, is about 7.5 GPM, from the sea water pump at idle if I recall. Which would make sense. In that CMI video, with a fresh impeller/housing, they are seeing about 10 GPM from the sea pump.

That is at idle though. At 6000rpm screaming across the lake, making big hp, and big HEAT, I am sure the system is capable of much more water flow. I'd want to keep those headers as cool as possible, by giving them as much water as they can take.

At idle speeds, you aren't seeing 1300, 1400, 1500+ degree exhaust temperatures.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the big problem with headers, especially at idle speeds, is the distribution of water. Each tube is its own channel so to speak. Its being fed from a single line. There is no guarantee, that each tube, gets an even amount of water flow.

I know for a fact, certain tubes tend to run hotter than others on mine, at idle. one of the things I was looking into last year, was a better drive ratio for the water pump.

In the aftermarket world, say with roots blowers, alot of the crank accessory pulleys, are small. Smaller than mercury used. That slows the pump down. I did some calculations last year, and forgot what they were, but just because you may be idling at 700 engine rpm, depending on the pulley setup, your pump certainly may not be.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Most headers I have seen, have a 1 inch bypass tube for the exit to the tailpipe. The BIG TUBE headers, for the big power engines, usually have 1.25" bypass tubes if I recall.

My stellings headers, have four, 3/4" nipples, one for each tube.
My headers have a 1 inch ID connection to the the distribution manifold and the same size ( single ) to the tail pipe, Im a bit concerned going to a -12 5/8 ID connection on the input side of the header.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
These builds are the first for me not running a circ pump, going with a cross over with the whipple water pump delete kit, Im running CMI sweepers, it would be nice to know what the gap is between the primary and outer tube. if you put a large amount of water volume to the header manifold and it cant disperse it through the tubes you build pressure.
The gap between the two walls? Almost non existent at the bends which is probably why that's the first place you'll see the discoloration from overheating.
Attached Thumbnails Rigging/plumbing things-img952016071795114333172.jpg  

Last edited by bck; 02-08-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think the big problem with headers, especially at idle speeds, is the distribution of water. Each tube is its own channel so to speak. Its being fed from a single line. There is no guarantee, that each tube, gets an even amount of water flow.

I know for a fact, certain tubes tend to run hotter than others on mine, at idle. one of the things I was looking into last year, was a better drive ratio for the water pump.

In the aftermarket world, say with roots blowers, alot of the crank accessory pulleys, are small. Smaller than mercury used. That slows the pump down. I did some calculations last year, and forgot what they were, but just because you may be idling at 700 engine rpm, depending on the pulley setup, your pump certainly may not be.
Which tubes are hotter?? maybe look at how it is fed and how it exits... Water takes the path of least resistance. Turbulence can also decrease flow.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bck
The gap between the two walls? Almost nin existent at the bends which is probably why that's the first place you'll see the discoloration from overheating.
Thats what I was looking for, I didnt figure it was much, 1/8 inch at best, thanks for the post
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

With that much area in the tube,,, I am almost inclined to think that the water at that point it almost working more as an insulator, keeping the heat from transferring to the outer tube rather than removing the heat (cooling)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mild, with your stellings dumping a 3/4 inch fitting per tube to the tail, I have to think there is a larger volume of water passing between the inner and outer tubes compared to the CMI
Old 02-08-2017, 08:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

that is correct about not much area gap in between the header tubes especially at the bends and very easily for stuff to collect / clog in those narrow areas causing restrictions of water flow thru, hence why sometimes one header portion of the header runs hotter than the one next to it,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.