Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box? >

604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box?

Notices

604ci build. Ready run msd or ignition box?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

That was a good well put post joe. I guess I Still have to ask not being familiar with Daytona is do you just program the ign box and or combined with crank trigger. Or is it just a matter of programming the timing maps used in conjunction with the normal use of your distributor. I've read up only a little on these and would like to familiarize myself more with them.

The only mapping I've done is on my snowmobiles and creating fuel curves I could quickly change weather depending.

Tks
John
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

So I guess in a nutshell do you need to use the Daytonas in conjunction with crank trigger?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can run them with a standard msd distributor , or merc distributor.

As far as custom programming them, you can program the timing you want based on rpm, or , based on map sensor values. All done via laptop. Or , choose from some pre programmed timing curves that come with it. No weights, no springs.

Wanna change the curve or settings in the boat? No need for wrenches. Hook up the laptop, make your changes, upload, and done.

Sounds easy, but , it can be confusing at first. Took me a while to understand everything.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our results said the timing wasn't the real issue. Good chance that carbs are are most of the poor idle issues.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two pair of merc 900s with daytona sensors. I was told you could never get these engines to be freindly around the docks. They idle at 1k with no surge and in gear rpm is 700rpm,great around docks! They run hard all day without skipping a beat! They will take a little playing around with the mixture screws but well worth the time. No crank triggers. I use the merc distributor in all 4 motors. Very simple wiring, Great investment
Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You can run them with a standard msd distributor , or merc distributor.

As far as custom programming them, you can program the timing you want based on rpm, or , based on map sensor values. All done via laptop. Or , choose from some pre programmed timing curves that come with it. No weights, no springs.

Wanna change the curve or settings in the boat? No need for wrenches. Hook up the laptop, make your changes, upload, and done.

Sounds easy, but , it can be confusing at first. Took me a while to understand everything.
Tks joe and I appreciate the info last week. So basically just use in place of any other ignition box however this offers much more flexibility while still having a rev limiter. Your distributor becomes a host so to speak. Originally I thought this had to be used with crank triggger sensor. Now I have a little better understanding of it and sounds like the ticket for sure. Like any other new electronic they become user friendly very quickly. Sounds a lot like programming a power commander ignition controller on snowmobiles/ATV's etc. very simple yet effective. Pretty user friendly. It's just getting over the first test spin with your teeth quenched wondering what if that map I just uploaded didn't load correctly.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JJ30
I have two pair of merc 900s with daytona sensors. I was told you could never get these engines to be freindly around the docks. They idle at 1k with no surge and in gear rpm is 700rpm,great around docks! They run hard all day without skipping a beat! They will take a little playing around with the mixture screws but well worth the time. No crank triggers. I use the merc distributor in all 4 motors. Very simple wiring, Great investment
Perfect!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Our results said the timing wasn't the real issue. Good chance that carbs are are most of the poor idle issues.
On my engines, ive ran 80443 marine 850 holleys (twin), and 850 quick fuels, brand new.

Icdedppl, had twin 850 holleys modifed by nickerson, and then brand new 1050 quick fuel blower carbs.

Ive had single 4150, single 1050, dual 850s of two different brands.

The reality of it, is being able to fine tune the idle, with timing changes, can make a big effect. It will not cure poor carb tuning, it just takes it one step further.

I do not know of another ignition system that you can run with carburetors, and control the spark advance in a way that you can with the daytona ignitions. Especially the way the idle stabilization functions.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Registered

Another side note,

When you are on the dyno, and pull out 9 degrees of timing in the midrange vs locked out timing, and GAIN torque, it opens your eyes on how much timing you were giving the engine, that it didnt want , need, or like. Lots of guys dont realize they are rattling their rings just getting the boat up on plane when their timing is locked out. Or cruising at a low rpm with the tabs and drives tucked, putting an extreme load on the engine and the piston speed/mixture density is no where near calling for the plug to be fired 34 or 36 deg btdc .
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Registered

I'm glad for this thread. I have a better understanding now and see no other option. I can't begin to say how many articles and post from various forms including this one how many times the msd boxes have failed. So I then thought about perhaps going back to crane only to find out endeavour32 replaced two of those boxes within a one season I believe. I don't want any part of this. I'm looking forward to the Daytona and know feel very confident going this route. Done deal.

Last question... Any known issues or failures with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.