Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine and Transmission removal? >

Engine and Transmission removal?

Notices

Engine and Transmission removal?

Old 10-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and Transmission removal?

I am trying to remove my engine with the tranny attached and I am not having much luck my engine campartment is too small. I have Velvet trannys, does the tailstock or whatever you call it that bolts into the bottom half of a TRS transom plate come apart from the tranny or is this actually part of the transmission? I can see a gasket between the main body of the tranny and the part that bolts to the transom plate and it looks like it is supposed to come appart but I can not find any bolts on the back side, but it feels like there are round studs on the backside but no threads or nuts or boltheads If I can get this part off, my engines will come out easy.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Registered

That is the tailstock and it does unbolt, but it's not recommended to disassemble. I ran into the same situation, where the engine/ trans was extremely tight. I had to rotate the engine towards the side, and remove the accessories from the front of the engine.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Registered

Can you remove the back seat that was the easy way to get the eng out of the formula that I used to have.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:52 AM
Registered

David, Why is it not recomended to remove the tailstock? Also is it a Mercruiser part or a Borgwarner part. Do you know how the tailstock comes off, I belive that if I can get this off my engine and tranny will come out easy. Do you know where I can view pictures of this part unattached to the tranny? I cant find it on Mercury or the Marine Transmissions site

Last edited by THRILLSEEKER; 10-10-2002 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:09 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Aside from the mess, there is no reason you can't pull it. It is a Mercury part, see

Tailstock dwg on mercruiserparts.com for a drawing.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

Tailsock comes off, no problem. The bolts are on the back side and may be very difficult to reach between the tranny and transom plate. It will probably be a bigger pain to reassemble in the boat.
I would try to pull it with the engine.
Gary
Old 10-11-2002, 06:51 PM
FWK

I have the same set up as you but I have a lot of room. I would pull the whole thing and not take it apart. I would remooe all of the accessories and the crank shaft pulleys if possible andf maybe you will have enough room. It may be possible to unbolt the trans from the engine and side it free from the tranny also. Good luck Forrest

Old 10-11-2002, 07:52 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 20' Cigarette /TRS my Engine compartment is very tight!I have to remove all components from the front of the engine,then remove motor mounts I then use a ratchet strap to hold the weight of the trans.Then unbolt engine from the trans, and pull it out .It pays to be able to tilt the engine at reassembly.

Rob

Last edited by rws; 10-11-2002 at 07:55 PM.