Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lifter madness >

Lifter madness

Notices

Lifter madness

Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think on my next go-round, I'm moving to solid lifters . (on a solid cam).

Too many variances in hydraulics. Lifter type, oil viscosity, oil pressure, oil aeration, cam profile effects, oil temperature, spring pressures, and so on. At least with solids, you know what you got. Rules out alot of potential issues.

The big reason hydraulics were so popular, was the noise, and fact you don't have to adjust/check lash. Neither of those things are a big deal to me, but I can see where they may be to others. I am kinda wishing I had switched last winter when the engines were out. Because I could have took a look at lash right now, and get a decent idea how my new heads/valve seats and rest of things are holding up.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Got into my Whipple 525 this week and fairly certain they're crane 13532-16 installed fwiw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565860[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Lifter madness-img_5129.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree MT ^^^ that's what I'm trying next, then I will personally experience both and see.

It sounds like a lot of the negativity towards solids is exaggerated or not true, and the positives don't get brought up much.

They are not for everyone though.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think on my next go-round, I'm moving to solid lifters . (on a solid cam).

Too many variances in hydraulics. Lifter type, oil viscosity, oil pressure, oil aeration, cam profile effects, oil temperature, spring pressures, and so on. At least with solids, you know what you got. Rules out alot of potential issues.

The big reason hydraulics were so popular, was the noise, and fact you don't have to adjust/check lash. Neither of those things are a big deal to me, but I can see where they may be to others. I am kinda wishing I had switched last winter when the engines were out. Because I could have took a look at lash right now, and get a decent idea how my new heads/valve seats and rest of things are holding up.
FYI Jesel rockers and solid rollers are quiet
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have solid flat tappet EDM litters in my 440 Mopar engine. (.903 factory size on a Mopar) and they are really pretty quiet.

Lots of the rhetoric you hear / read in mags and on the net come from guys who have never used them.

I have morel solid rollers (.903 on a 55mm cam) in the BBC boat engine (dyno time only) and they are quiet as well. One thing I'll be watching is the long term durability of the solid roller.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I have solid flat tappet EDM litters in my 440 Mopar engine. (.903 factory size on a Mopar) and they are really pretty quiet.

Lots of the rhetoric you hear / read in mags and on the net come from guys who have never used them.

I have morel solid rollers (.903 on a 55mm cam) in the BBC boat engine (dyno time only) and they are quiet as well. One thing I'll be watching is the long term durability of the solid roller.
Heck, theres a ton of guys who honestly, aren't getting much benefit from their "roller" cam setups. Some are running 800 dollar lifters, a 500 dollar billet cam, and aren't spinning more than 5400rpm, or making more than 500ish hp. Something that can easily be accomplished with a flat tappet, that costs 1/4 the price. A good setup with the groove cut or EDM oiling, proper springs, and a proven cam design, they can outlast the piston rings. Rollers are great, but they are fricken heavy too. Hence the need for lots of spring pressure compared to a flat tappet. I think theres many who would be better off sinking the money into better heads, better exhaust, or better induction, rather than into the big dollar lifters and cam core.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly

they live if you're diligent in oil maintenance and keeping your engine idle time to a minimum... I usually run out of marinas and no wake zones on one engine flipping back and forth between both the two... I've been running the same Crower pressure fed solid rollers in the last 3 sets of engines... and I beat the dog sh*t outta my gear so FWIW yes solid rollers will be fine as long as your realize idling them is what kills them... FYI my spring pressure is 285 on seat 800 open
Old 12-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would a tie bar lifter stand up better then a tall body dog bone style lifter?
looking at the GM 17120060 lifters - used in the 572/620 motor vs say the crane 13532-16 and wondering if their is any one that stands better?
575sci update motor, more boost and more cam
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by LTZCrew
would a tie bar lifter stand up better then a tall body dog bone style lifter?
looking at the GM 17120060 lifters - used in the 572/620 motor vs say the crane 13532-16 and wondering if their is any one that stands better?
575sci update motor, more boost and more cam
put johnsons in and call it a day...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i recently used a set of the comp short travel hyd roller lifters on a n/a 509 build and i liked them.i won,t use the morel hyd roller lifters anymore,out of 10 sets i had 3 lifters colapse right away on the dyno,this was during warm up.i had to replace the bad one before a dyno pull could be made.i think comp cams hit a home run with their short travel hyd roller lifter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.