Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Oil leak at distributor. >

Oil leak at distributor.

Notices

Oil leak at distributor.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Cutler isn't the only one. I've had a few like that. Not quite as bad.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Nylatron washer might be easier to work with ......if you can find one 2 mm thick just use it as your gasket after you grind off one side .
That sucks on the alignment
Old 04-02-2017, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like somebody machined the dist hole deeper. check to see if dist body seats to manifold or if it is being held up by oil pump drive.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest272
A Nylatron washer might be easier to work with ......if you can find one 2 mm thick just use it as your gasket after you grind off one side .
That sucks on the alignment
I actually found a washer in my "magic toolbox" that fit without ANY grinding that was about 0.5 mm thick..

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
looks like somebody machined the dist hole deeper. check to see if dist body seats to manifold or if it is being held up by oil pump drive.
It's a tall deck intake designed to use a standard distributor.. If anything, my distributor is a bit on the short side. I have about 1/4" oil pump engagement . The cam gear pattern is just a little below center on the distributor gear...

I'd LIKE to replace it with a slip collar distributor but not finding much luck finding one that will work..

Has to be marine certified.
Slip collar
HAS to be a ready to run.. My efi doesn't have a "mag" input
Locked out timing.
Re-phasable rotor. (my Thunderbolt rotor is phased just the the Crane hi6m was)

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 04-02-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you find somebody with a lathe and machine off the lip on the dist. and just add a slip collar to your distributor?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el
Can you find somebody with a lathe and machine off the lip on the dist. and just add a slip collar to your distributor?

I'm not sure.. Problem I see is it's a cast aluminum distributor and not round above the flange...

I DO have a "tall deck" version of a Thunderbolt, designed to be used with a tall deck block and a standard intake manifold using spacers..
It's about an inch TOO tall.. may be able to figure out a slip collar for that one...

Old 04-02-2017, 10:47 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Just curious, did you happen to remove the throttle body and look down the runners with a light to see how things are lined up ? And do you see any wear marks on the bottom of the distributor gear where it's rubbing on the block ?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
Just curious, did you happen to remove the throttle body and look down the runners with a light to see how things are lined up ? And do you see any wear marks on the bottom of the distributor gear where it's rubbing on the block ?
This would be the first thing I would do. If they are off front to back you could long gate the holes. How does it sit on the china walls?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 PM
Registered

Looks like voice to text. Long gate I figured out. What is a China wall?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered

That dust hole in intake is WAY too big. It is supposed to be a loose clearance fit on distributor body. That is close to half inch bigger than dist. Dist can flop all over in there. GET A NEW INTAKE!! Somebody butchered that dist hole. I was thinking mebbe a bushing to correct suze, but they could cut it out off-center...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.