New  7.4 with bizarre oil pressure problem >

New 7.4 with bizarre oil pressure problem

Notices

New 7.4 with bizarre oil pressure problem

Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
what if you just put a bypass hose in place of the cooler? just a loop out and back in. I think if that showed normal pressure, then there may be an obstruction in the new cooler. just cuz something is new, doesn't mean it is perfect. post 6 in this thread has a good pic with pipe cleaners showing path. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ass-valve.html and shows the factory cooler ports. also, if pressure stays at 30 with loop hose imitating cooler, then you know there is an issue in those oil passages at the filter pad. this is a brand new block? worst case scenario, you could screw the filter on down there, and run the cooler to the 2 factory cooler ports.
I agree. Don't assume new parts are all OK. I roasted a trim ram because the new, factory line from the distribution block to the ram was plugged when the boat was new.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by sb
interesting issue.

Check to see you have the oil lines routed correct. People have reversed them in the past and screwed things up.
yep
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reversed lines was my first thought too. The y have been checked and rechecked, even against the port side engine which is ok.

Yes if all else fails I will run the filter on the block and the cooler on the factory loop.

Bypass just the cooler to test, good idea.

I also plan this weekend to place a manual gauge in line right where the first connection is at the adapter on the port engine and see what that pump psi is to compare to the pump on the new engine. This way I should have a precooler psi on both pumps. That may tell the story.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with some filters, reversed line you get 0 oil pressure, I think the oil pump is junk, not keeping up with the extra length of lines, cooler etc, or something internally with the engine losing oil pressure