Mufflers with dry exhaust? >

Mufflers with dry exhaust?

Notices

Mufflers with dry exhaust?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
When i started using my dyno i had giant semi or tractor mufflers, i found they still cost 15 to 20 hp though, it may have been exhaust reversion though where 6" tube slipped over 5" tube. I had a set of 5" 400$ gibson clampons laying around and stuck them on the 5" pipes, they cost about 3 hp at 550 hp, cost 7 to 10 at 700 hp. After 100 pulls they still look fine and there is nothing in thembto burn out, might be a viable, cheap option for you! How much hp we talking?
The motor makes right at 600hp.

I actually like the GGB idea. I have some extra polished 4" stainless pipe laying around that I could fab up some clamp on mufflers with those inserts. I'll have to check on them, but I am not going to get too crazy with it cause like I said, my home lake (Lake Cumberland) doesn't have any sound laws, I was just looking to take the edge off the exhaust sound. I have also bought some new exhaust manifolds and will be fabricating a whole new exhaust system that will have a pair of those mufflers that look like snails and whistle, but those won't go on for at least a year.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I have never heard the term 'snails and whistle.' Maybe it's my isolated part of the country. Are you talking the auger (screw) type ? These typically cost power. My mild SBC loses almost 3mph with them installed. So say, almost 30hp.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corey331
Well, apparently the CMI's have some o-rings and seals inside them and that's what I would burn up. But you are right cause I also talked to the guy from Aqua Power today as well and that's what he said. They would turn brown and blue and look like crap eventually.
That would be correct. I didn't realize there were o- rings, etc.inside. Heat would definitely toast the rubber. I was thinking more along the line of the Gibson exhaust that somebody else also mentioned. There is nothing inside those to burn. But, again without the water to cool them (water also does help with the sound!) they will get pretty ugly probably after the first run. As fas as the GGB's are concerned. I'm sure they are effective. Personally they scare me. Many years ago I had a dirt bike with the same set up in the exhaust. Now I understand the oil mixed in the gas makes the exhaust a lot dirtier, I get it. However, I had to clean them after every run or the holes gummed up and I lost power. Cleaning them was very time consuming and a complete pain. I tossed them. Probably wouldn't happen in this application, but they are not for me!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered

Double post.... I hate this new layout

Last edited by corey331; 06-22-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I have never heard the term 'snails and whistle.' Maybe it's my isolated part of the country. Are you talking the auger (screw) type ? These typically cost power. My mild SBC loses almost 3mph with them installed. So say, almost 30hp.
I'm pretty sure these won't cost me any power.....

The following users liked this post:
SB (03-29-2022)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

oh. they look like snails and make a whistling sound...and you are at 600 now? won't be the slowest small block, that's for sure.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Nice ! And yes, snails and whistles is a fitting term. Now in my vocabulary.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by corey331
I'm pretty sure these won't cost me any power.....

^^^^^^LOVE^^^^^^^^ Carry on!

I agree either the Gibson inserts or the Bullet Mufflers would be your best option being full dry, the Inserts being the option that wouldn't look like crap over time. Should slide right up the tails unless they aren't a straight shot out the transom and maintain the cleanest look. Would most likely help with reversion potential to dampen the exhaust pulses a bit too. That LS firing order tends to make reversion worse, ask me how I know! Haha.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

and they would look better than the semi mufflers...
Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What about using the Gibson Power Curves? To direct the sound toward the water? If you are worried about reversion, then mount them so they do not sit below the waterline..???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.