Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to winterize motor without o/d on boat >

How to winterize motor without o/d on boat

Notices

How to winterize motor without o/d on boat

Old 10-14-2002, 11:07 AM
kook

Question How to winterize motor without o/d on boat

No outdrive on boat. Looking to winterize my motor, but looking for advice.

I think almost everything can be done w/o even firing-up the motor. Pull the plugs, fog the cylinders, turn engine over a few times, drain all water from motor, replace with antifreeze. Only thing that can't be done is to clean the carb of fuel (or at least get some stabilized fuel in there).

I've only done the winterization using the "antifreeze with muffs on the o/d" method - connected to a 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze. What's the proper procedure to remove all water and replace with antifreeze if the motor is not run?

Also, should I be concerned about leaving un-stabilized fuel in the carb?

Old 10-14-2002, 11:16 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a Bravo, just unhook the seawater pump pickup on the transom assembly and stuff a garden hose in there. Then fire it up, and fog it as you would normally. At the same time you will be pulling your stabilized fuel into the carb, and warming up the oil so it will drain easier. After this is done, proceed as with a normal winterization. Drain the block and manifolds, disconnect hoses to oil cooler, PS cooler, seawater pump, etc., and make sure ALL the water is out of these. Then button everything back up and pour in some RV antifreeze into your top water hose that goes from the circ pump to the T-stat housing. Change plugs out and you are ready for next spring!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Rather than disconnecting everything, I prefer to just suck the treated water right out of the bucket. The problem is that alot of these engines will trap water, so just pouring antifreeze into the engine won't protect the coolers, etc.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:22 PM
FWK

I am with you Cord I un hook the sea water pump hose run the engine up to temp and put the end of the hose in a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze in it and let it circulate. I'm lazy Forrest

Old 10-14-2002, 09:58 PM
Registered

Remove the thermaostat so it does not close when hit with cold antifreese.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:36 PM
Registered

Is that really a concern? It seems like the antifreeze would be about the same temp as the water from the hose, maybe warmer. Maybe put the AF jug in the house to warm it up before??