Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496ho overheating? Or temp gauge not working right? >

496ho overheating? Or temp gauge not working right?

Notices

496ho overheating? Or temp gauge not working right?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496ho overheating? Or temp gauge not working right?

i was out on Lake Michigan last weekend and noticed when after running 40mph for about 45min my water temps creeped up to 195ish, then continued after another 15min to 210ish. The boat never beeped at me at those temperatures and it does beep at me when I have low oil or low drive lube.

took boat off water and replaced the impeller which was in perfect condition but since I had it apart I decided to do it anyways. So thinking that wasn't the problem I flushed entire water lines with the hose and also replaced the heat exchanger gaskets and washers.

took boat out on lake by my house and temps were in the 175-185 range after about 10min of riding mid throttle. I went and tapped on the gauge and the needle moved back and forth in a 15-20 degree range. Not sure if that's normal for the needle to move when you tap on gauge.

side note not sure if this mattters at all but I am curious to why my port side headers always run hotter then my starboard side. They are cmi headers

does anyone have any idea what's going on?

496ho in a outlaw 25
270 hours
all fresh fluid this year

Last edited by Snobo4rder08; 07-13-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The first place to look is the fitting where the water comes through the transom. It is a choke point to begin with, so it can get plugged up.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I once had a 496HO that was overheating and it turned out to be debris stuck in the oil cooler on the backside of the engine. I had back flushed as well, but it didn't blow this stuff out.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Registered

Where does the water come through the transom general location so I'm not standing on my head for 10min looking for it?

also for the oil cooler was it stuck in the oil cooler feed line or actually in the cooler itself?

thsbk you
Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Snobo4rder08
i was out on Lake Michigan last weekend and noticed when after running 40mph for about 45min my water temps creeped up to 195ish, then continued after another 15min to 210ish. The boat never beeped at me at those temperatures and it does beep at me when I have low oil or low drive lube.

took boat off water and replaced the impeller which was in perfect condition but since I had it apart I decided to do it anyways. So thinking that wasn't the problem I flushed entire water lines with the hose and also replaced the heat exchanger gaskets and washers.

took boat out on lake by my house and temps were in the 175-185 range after about 10min of riding mid throttle. I went and tapped on the gauge and the needle moved back and forth in a 15-20 degree range. Not sure if that's normal for the needle to move when you tap on gauge.

side note not sure if this mattters at all but I am curious to why my port side headers always run hotter then my starboard side. They are cmi headers

496ho in a outlaw 25
270 hours
if your gauge moves 15 to 20 deg just from tapping on it you need to replace it.also when the raw water pump goes bad the small rubber peices get caught in the cooling tubes in the water side of the oil cooler and reverse flushing get some of it but usually not all of it.i have used a coat hanger and pushed the junk out many times.a 502 mag should run at 170 to 175 deg,no hotter.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Registered

When I inspected impeller it was still in new condition not missing any fins.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered

I am very interested in if anyone knows why my port side header gets super hot and my starboard is cool to the touch. Water does come out of both of tHem.

they are the cmi headers
Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

496ho in a outlaw 25
270 hours
this could be blockage also
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Registered

I felt all my header primaries the only one that is scolding hot is the port side the one closest to the front of the engine every other is cold
Old 07-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

I am very interested in if anyone knows why my port side header gets super hot and my starboard is cool to the touch. Water does come out of both of tHem.

they are the cmi headers
is this with the boat in the water or on the trailer using the garden hose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.