How do these cut outs look >

How do these cut outs look

Notices

How do these cut outs look

Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Hahaha. Good to know I’m not alone. My guess is 75% of boaters don’t look or don’t care. Wish i was one of them.

If you filled the boat up and its weeping out the main seal. I’d say you have the following:

1. Rotten transom that’s caused the main seal to lose squeeze
2. Bad seal (i.e. shrunken, dried out, etc)
3. Corrosion on main plate that’s allowing water in around the seal

i would think adding 4200 would seal it temporarily but think getting to the root cause is paramount. If it were me. I’d pull it apart and see what i have.

Sadly in my case...transom is solid as can be as shown in pics. Zero corrosion on transom assemblies. They are mint. And the main seal is brand new 2 months old. Not sure what i have going on.
I agree with 1-3 and I did seal between the gimbal ring and transom to. No avail. I'll be having my mechanic pull it apart to continue inspection.

Always a gremlin to chase.....
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Updates:

pulled drive, pulled motor, re-installed drive...put boat in water. We were sitting in the bilge looking for the leak. At first nothing...then we saw wetness and a leak start to develop. It took 15-20 minutes to show up. The leak is very very very slow. Boat was in water for 30 minutes. Probably only leaked 1/4 cup of water. The picture below shows where water wetness showed. It’s coming from up higher and leaking down. It’s definately not the steering pin. I have semi ruled out main gasket as I put a bead of silicone around the assembly and it still leaked.

Few questions...has anyone seen the gimbal assembly studs leak on thes things? If you look past the bell housing you can see where they terminate in the gimbal assembly. Should they be sealed? Wondering if I should take some sealant and smear it on the studs to see if this is the culprit.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Registered

Update: smeared 5200 on studs. Thought it fixed the leak. It didn’t. I’m stumped on this one.

Symtpoms. Put boat in water no apparent leak. Boated for 20 mins, checked no leak or water. Got back to dock no water. Go to load boat on trailer no water. Soon as boat is on trailer on flat ground I see a puddle develop in cut out. Issue is on port side only. Images to follow in next post.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered

Here is cut out dry

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Registered

With small puddle

Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

You have any stress cracks or chips in the transom exterior that water could be getting in and migrating through small hollows to the cutout opening?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
You have any stress cracks or chips in the transom exterior that water could be getting in and migrating through small hollows to the cutout opening?
no gel exterior looks mint. I posted images above that show the condition. there were barely any blemishes under the transom assembly.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that you have some sort of slight alignment issue.... your assembly openings look clean and the back of the assemblies have no crud or signs of rot....
In my thread on the other forum i posted pics of mine and it was a relatively "minor" leak at the bottom of the transom assemblies. lots of white crud and corrosion in the assemblies and the wood was black and nasty. I don't see any of that with yours... from where you are pinpointing the wetness to be coming from (IMHO) is in no way a sign that you have transom rot. I think its an alignment issue or slight hole offset.
That area is too high for it to be the exhaust bellow but its worth looking there too if you haven't already. Any areas of rot will be very easy to find by tapping around with a screwdriver... the rotted area will be very dead and hollow with no resonance compared to a known good spot...