Which top mount starter to buy >

Which top mount starter to buy

Notices

Which top mount starter to buy

Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which top mount starter to buy

Have no experience with CCW starters/or top mount starters for BBC boat engines, as have narrow stringers and top mount 2-bolt bellhousing so though might as well use it.
Only used tilton CW starters in cars
Need reliable, good cracking starter and if possible to save some weight
What's eveyone running:
1. API marine 10MT delco
2. Delco Remy MT14
3. Delco gear reduction style
4. Denso gear reduction style
Old 11-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

#3 worked well on 540's w/ blowers.still going as of today,about 10yrs later.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what you mean might as well use it. do you have top mount starters now? and if so, which ones? if you have bottom mounts and want to switch you need different flywheels or to have ring gear installed on the other side of the flywheel.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 AM
Registered

Have no starters for the marine engine now
stringers are only 22" wide so its seems a little tight to fit the starter in between
Therefore need to buy new a starter
Have the top mount bellhousing thought I would run them
have a few flywheels here a mixture of alum and steel auto and marine, although haven't paid to much attention to whether they would ift
So need to change the ring gear on flywheel
can you run a flex plate with this setup and use a spacer as saw Rex marine has 1/2" spacer plate which looks like it may do same job
Big Block Chevy Flywheel Spacer, 1/2" thickfor use with Flexplate and Reverse Rotation Starters: Automotive Performance Products, Boat & Marine Parts & Hardware

Thanks for the infor. actually setting up engine/transmission/drive mounting plates in boat so just trying to think ahead
cheers
Brett
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can tell by looking at the flywheel if the ring gear is mounted toward the front or rear. I had a machine shop change mine. I found that not all machine shops could do it.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

You can change the ring gear with a propane torch, a 2 2x4 blocks, a punch and a hammer.
Set the flywheel on the 2x4 blocks, heat up the ring gear and lightly tap around the gear and it will fall off.
Make sure you grind off the spot welds if someone spotted it to the flywheel.
I've done it about a dozen times
Old 11-05-2017, 05:32 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If i remember correctly my flywheel had a groove machined into it. The ring gear had a slight protrusion on the underside that rode in that groove to ensure it didn't move. This groove needed to be remachined into the correct place place on the flywheel to relocate the ring gear. Not all machine shops had a lathe that could accommodate the flywheel. Thats my story and im sticking to it. As far as what brand starter, I found a local shop that rebuilt starters with quality parts not the chinese stuff they are filled with when new.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Delco Remy MT14 I do believe these have the most HP
Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Registered

Guys
Thanks for the infor,
I'll need to go through the steel and aluminium flywheels to see what I have and can use
For the starter selection I looked at the weights of the starters and looks like option 1&2 are 23 pounds, and option 3&4 are 10lbs in weight. So I only have small 21' boat so was trying to see whether I could keep the weight down a little. Not sure what the gearing is on the Delco reduction gear starter (#3) but Denso looks to be 3-4/1

As far as flywheels go, do most people normally use the standard nodular iron flywheel, steel or aluminium. The boat is being used for play boat in harbour/open bay, running turbo 502ci or 560ci N/A BBC, through Daytona crash gearbox, casale parallel drive (so can be geared over/or under drive),
I suppose with aluminium when you take your foot out of the gas you lose the rotating inertia, I was planning on running 14" flywheel

any help much appreciated
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brett fiddes
Guys
Thanks for the infor,
I'll need to go through the steel and aluminium flywheels to see what I have and can use
For the starter selection I looked at the weights of the starters and looks like option 1&2 are 23 pounds, and option 3&4 are 10lbs in weight. So I only have small 21' boat so was trying to see whether I could keep the weight down a little. Not sure what the gearing is on the Delco reduction gear starter (#3) but Denso looks to be 3-4/1

As far as flywheels go, do most people normally use the standard nodular iron flywheel, steel or aluminium. The boat is being used for play boat in harbour/open bay, running turbo 502ci or 560ci N/A BBC, through Daytona crash gearbox, casale parallel drive (so can be geared over/or under drive),
I suppose with aluminium when you take your foot out of the gas you lose the rotating inertia, I was planning on running 14" flywheel

any help much appreciated
Your not going to run a shaft whirl away in the boat can be dangerous if your at good speed and something fails. I have run aluminum flywheel in my v-drive with SBC worked great. What boat do you have??

Last edited by 14 apache; 11-05-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.