Why do MSD ignition boxes go bad? >

Why do MSD ignition boxes go bad?

Notices

Why do MSD ignition boxes go bad?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bck
Negative on Daytona adopting the old crane box. Daytona developed the crane box and also sold their own more advanced / expensive unit. I think what's left of crane ignition after the bankruptcy was purchased by a company that made aftermarket Harley engine parts. Can't recall the name right now.
That company would be S&S, but they have divested themselves from Crane.

Ken
Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Negative on Daytona adopting the old crane box. Daytona developed the crane box and also sold their own more advanced / expensive unit. I think what's left of crane ignition after the bankruptcy was purchased by a company that made aftermarket Harley engine parts. Can't recall the name right now.
S&S Cycle
I have the crane boxes,still going 10yrs later,msd was always a crap shoot,thats why I wired them in so I could swap a couple of plugs and run on the stock ignition system.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

The Crane ignition line has NOW been taken over by F.A.S.T. They don't have the version with the built in timing curves tho'

I ordered one DIRECTLY from FAST and it showed up with "CRANE" stickers on it ...

Last edited by Boatally Insane; 02-10-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Your correct. I had it the other way around by mistake.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maddad
I run a 25 year old 6m2 box that has spent the night under salt water twice, and a pro billet distributer that's 14 years old and has been under salt water for a night along with the msd coil I still run. I've never understood the bash msd posts, except maybe the fit of the rotor in the cap which once addressed isn't a problem.
buy a lottery ticket !! also older MSD parts were better I think...they do use outsourced(chinese) parts now days
Old 02-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
buy a lottery ticket !! also older MSD parts were better I think...they do use outsourced(chinese) parts now days
I don’t know about the lottery ticket...it sounds like his boat sunk at least twice.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

MSD.... May Soon Die ! Ive installed litterally Hundreds of them .... and they arent worth a **** . We had to run them in NASCAR because it was the only ignition legal . Thats why Every Team has it set up redundant.
ARCA allowed the Crane box and so did the Truck Series , you couldnt kill them ! I have 2 or 3 left over Cranes running around in various toys now and no problems. I personally beat an MSD box into the Concrete, on live TV at Bristol , with a 5Lb hammer , after it cost us the race we lead 250 laps of , with 20 to go..... Felt Gooooooood
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MSD boxes

I too have had the on the lake MSD failure, and it ain't fun. What is everyone's opinion on Pertronix distributors and boxes? Don't see much mentioned about their stuff, just wondering.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthfever
I too have had the on the lake MSD failure, and it ain't fun. What is everyone's opinion on Pertronix distributors and boxes? Don't see much mentioned about their stuff, just wondering.
I know the distributor points conversions work well.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by SFOcean
Run an MSD 8222 capacitor. Brad Smith idea, voltage spikes kill boxes, especially the newer ones for some reason.

I have a Daytona Sensors™ CD-1™ Kit, Part #102003 new in the box I don't need, has all paperwork, software disc and all computer cables for tuning. Hard parts list below;
Part #102001 ​CD-1™ Ignition Module (with Wiring Harness)
Part #102002 Ignition Coil

Part #115012 ​2 Bar MAP Sensor (for supercharged applications).
When you mentioned running a capacitor it just triggered a memory of my old K5 blazer....i had a built 383 motor with a full MSD system in there...blew up two boxes inside of a year.....factory told me to install a cap....they claim the system doesn't like low voltages and it would strain the electronics....like when a sub hits on a bass note and you can see the lights dim a bit on your dash Anyway the truck ran perfect after that for almost 8yrs before i sold it. There may be something behind the voltage spike theory! The caps could possibly be acting as a buffer in a way....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.