Hardin Marine oil filter mount leak fest

Notices

Hardin Marine oil filter mount leak fest

Old 04-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
How exactly did it fail?
My failure is odd. Raced the piece for over a year zero problems. Leake formed and can see no defects. I use all hardin Marine accessories on our engine and they have always been reliable and well thought out. The tech support at Hardin is great and I am still a customer just a very odd failure.
Steve
Old 04-21-2018, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
My failure is odd. Raced the piece for over a year zero problems. Leake formed and can see no defects. I use all hardin Marine accessories on our engine and they have always been reliable and well thought out. The tech support at Hardin is great and I am still a customer just a very odd failure.
Steve
Fair enough. :thumbup

It’s a gorgeous piece. But what a pita to seal up. The best luck that I’ve had on the threads is Permatex Aero form-a-gasket with yellow tephlon tape on the last row of threads on the fitting. Hokey af, but hopefully I get better seal when I redo everything on the new engine.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Have this part and had the same problem. I finally found the leak was from the mounting bolts in the bracket. Thread sealer cured it I was sure it was leaking at the top of the filter also until I seperated the bracket and could see the oil between the two parts. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

was the bottom (s) straight edged across to make sure all that was level and straight from all cross sections ? Can you give out the part number for this mount ? thanks

I would look at the bottom portion with a powerful magnify glass to see if any porosity is present.

I prob will ask them about it to see what their take is on it. Rick at CP is very helpful plus on top of everything Surely CP / Hardin / KE ---- they do not want to see anything like this happen either.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 510 Likes on 203 Posts

At least it looks to be out of the boat. Can you remove housing, clean up, install new filter, hook air to it and bubble test? See exactly where the leak is on the housing?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not read the thread, I don't have to. Everything I've bought from them had issues. Oil pans did not fit, oil adapters didn't fit with their own pans , pans rotted out in 3 years( in a brand new boat mind you. The headers leak every year which I just keep a eye on and fix as needed. I've heard some good things by some but not me . I did however get good service from Mike mays when he had some tails made for me but I bet they came from a shop with people that care about a decent product.