Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel pressure loss at high rpm >

Fuel pressure loss at high rpm

Notices

Fuel pressure loss at high rpm

Old 05-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ran a pick up hose straight to a gas can then that would rule out a pick up issue. Carb issue would be unlikely. I would probably buy a cheap mechanical gauge and just verify it like that even though younswapped sending units and gauges just to rule out some sort of weird reference voltage issue to
that gauge. I would swap the whole sea water pump assembly and belt next. Belt slipping only at higher load/rpm?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the suggestions. Looks like a have a few things to try out.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

You gotta just live boats. Such a nice relaxing hobby Good job on your troubleshooting though. Swapping the sea pump/fuel pump to the other engine sounds like the best idea at the moment. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
You gotta just live boats. Such a nice relaxing hobby Good job on your troubleshooting though. Swapping the sea pump/fuel pump to the other engine sounds like the best idea at the moment. Good luck!
Wish I liked a cheaper less frustrating hobby like meth😂. I agree. That will be my next move. Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:17 AM
Registered

Dealing with something very similar on two built 509's. We are just getting into the troubleshooting this week. 4500-5000 fall flat and will not make power. Airtex 60932 pump with the KE fuel pump upgrades. Engines made 676 hp at 6200 and 658 tq at 4700.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I chased a fuel delivery issue for more time than I care to remember. Have done the KE pump lower with the Airtex upper etc. etc. Even though the cam lobe "looked" alright on the original seawater pump housing it was narrowed down to the problem just about had to lie there. Replaced the seawater pumps with Hardin Marine 624-4118 and am using CV products SPIN-MP 2616 fuel pumps. So far problem solver and no issues. Best thing is both pumps can be rebuilt.

Mark
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
I chased a fuel delivery issue for more time than I care to remember. Have done the KE pump lower with the Airtex upper etc. etc. Even though the cam lobe "looked" alright on the original seawater pump housing it was narrowed down to the problem just about had to lie there. Replaced the seawater pumps with Hardin Marine 624-4118 and am using CV products SPIN-MP 2616 fuel pumps. So far problem solver and no issues. Best thing is both pumps can be rebuilt.

Mark
Once I read the fuel pressure on a manual gauge early this week and see it fall off, I will be getting the CV pumps as well. I will look into the pump gear. We ran these sea pumps which are Hardin marine last year with no issues. just less HP. We did get new fuel pumps and upgrades this year. just to make sure everything was new.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE

Mark

I tried the airtex as well but didn’t like how the ke fit with it. I’m going to swap water pumps out with other engine to see if the problem follows. The more I’m reading, the more confident it may be the culprit. You wouldn’t suggest just changing water pumps, but fuel pumps too? I’ve always heard good about the KE lower.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RGPIII
Dealing with something very similar on two built 509's. We are just getting into the troubleshooting this week. 4500-5000 fall flat and will not make power. Airtex 60932 pump with the KE fuel pump upgrades. Engines made 676 hp at 6200 and 658 tq at 4700.
I’m not making as much power as you with my 509’s. I’m guessing you did Heads with your build. I’m still running stock. Either way, those pumps are rated for more than enough that either of us should need.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sonichunter

I’m not making as much power as you with my 509’s. I’m guessing you did Heads with your build. I’m still running stock. Either way, those pumps are rated for more than enough that either of us should need.
Yes we went with the AFR 335 heads. I've been told that as well about the pumps. Just very strange how we didn't have any issues last year and now we do. I didn't get down there last night to mess with it, I hope to this evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.