Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist >

454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist

Notices

454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist

Old 08-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i talked to the original owner and he said that was normal for this boat. Hes owned it for 10 years and it has always done that. Doesnt mean there wasnt a problem i guess but said it has always done it. I will pull the plugs today and test for water.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Registered

Here's a strange update. Getting it ready to take to the lake tomorrow. No milky oil, spun the engine over without plugs and no water spitting out. I turned the engine over at least two rounds of 10 complete revolutions. Not even a water vapor.

sitting there feeling all happy and feeling good the motor isn't leaking water and i see a drip out of the side of my eye. Look into it and #5 is full of water and dripping. So i cuss and slam tools around thinking I'm gonna have to tear this engine apart again. Finally i calm down and just get to it. I got the riser off and it appears it's the problem. Leaking down into the exhaust port. I think this explains why i didn't see water coming from any plug. The air goes out the exhaust so it's blowing water back out but when i stopped the engine the exhaust valve much have been open letting the cylinder drip water out.

i thought this explained the steam but it's coming from the other side of the engine.

i had a brand new gasket on this side and tightened it down according to what the manual said. It's the something i can use on the exhaust manifold to the riser gasket in case the is some imperfections in the cast? Looks ok but well it seems to be leaking to.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I put T fittings on the bottom of the manifolds. Run a loop hose around back of engine to connect the 2 together. Have a ball valve on 1 feed from thermo housing to exhaust down low. Shut motor off and flip open valve. Voila! No water above my exhaust ports when sitting.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Registered

You got me curious now. What's the purpose of that? Seems to me you would want water around your exhaust ports when sitting. It keeps it cool.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Well i finally found that I had a riser leak with new gaskets. For anyone looking for this info in the future MAKE SURE TO BUY THE GRAPHITE GASKETS THAT ARE QUICKSILVER BRAND!!!!

Took the boat out for a spin and WOW what a ride. 69.8 MPH on GPS!!! In a Crownline 225 CCR there is one mad Baja w twins and another mad Sonic with Tri's on the lake that are still have problems with getting there jaws back up from getting spanked!

The bad news is i got back to the dock and went to get the trailer and when I started the boat back up i heard a dreaded ticking. If you guys remember I had a collapsed lifter the last time i pulled it all apart. I replaced the lifter with a new lifter and put it all back together. My initial thought was i messed up a lobe on the cam when i heard the tick. I got it home and pulled the valve cover and found the intake valve on #5 was loose. LUCKILY there is a small window in the head so you can see the lifter pretty good. I was able to pull the lifter out and sure enough another separate collapse lifter!!!! i was able to pull the lifter apart clean it lube it back up and put it back in without having to take off the intake. The bad news is now I feel like I may have another some other time and cant really trust the boat. Considering two separate lifters collapsed but both on #5. Is there anything I can do to make sure they get purged of whatever may be in these to cause them to collapse? Seafoam/MMO regiment? Lightly using the boat for extended period of time? Anyone ever have a similar experience and what was the outcome? Considering it didnt cost me anything to fix the lifter THIS TIME i figure ill run it until it happens again. If it does happen again ill just install a new cam and lifters....maybe something for performance. What can i do to lessen the chances of this happening again?