Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist >

454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist

Notices

454 Mag Valve guide confusion with machinist

Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised I had to educate him on the correct procedure which he insist the other way is correct. In fact after taking with 14 total machine shops not one new about it. Are machinist really getting away without cracking heads?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cableguy1979
Are machinist really getting away without cracking heads?
Most guys (me included) rarely replace guides in big block heads. I typically will bore the guide for a 1/2" od repair guide. Others use bronze liners. The oem guides are usually way off center so when you replace them you have to cut a lot to get the seats to clean up.

That being said, I am amazed at how many machine shops are still living 40 years in the past as far as technology and information goes. I am an AERA www.aera.org member and they are constantly sending out bulletins about different updates etc. I am almost certain that the info you posted about the guides comes from an AERA bulletin. I dont see how anyone can keep up with engine technology without being a member.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 AM
Registered

Actually that was a AERA bulletin but it is also in the repair manual for big blocks of that year.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Moses was this a saltwater boat? I want to take mine to the ocean but at the expense of having to go through this again I dont think i want to. Was it flushed regularly or was this for many many years of saltwater use?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Moses was this a saltwater boat? I want to take mine to the ocean but at the expense of having to go through this again I dont think i want to. Was it flushed regularly or was this for many many years of saltwater use?
yes salt water boat. As long as you are flushing after salt water use it shouldn’t be a problem. Contrary to popular belief salt water is not as bad as battery acid. Hahahaha
Old 07-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Registered

Great news the new valve guide came in and it sealed the port where it would hold 30 PSI of air. I should be able to pick them up today and begin the process of putting it back together.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Registered

Gonna be putting the engine back together and if this was a car engine I would put permatex on the water jackets of the intake and of the front and rear seal would be complete permatex instead of using the gaskets provided. Since this is a marine engine I wonder if I do the same thing? The water ports on the gaskets initially didn't have it so should i this time?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Gonna be putting the engine back together and if this was a car engine I would put permatex on the water jackets of the intake and of the front and rear seal would be complete permatex instead of using the gaskets provided. Since this is a marine engine I wonder if I do the same thing? The water ports on the gaskets initially didn't have it so should i this time?
Either Ultra Black or Ultra Grey Permatex or the "right stuff"
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BillK
Either Ultra Black or Ultra Grey Permatex or the "right stuff"
Does that mean I should put it on the water jackets of the intake?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:01 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Yes, rtv around water jackets.
And yes, use rtv on the china walls instead of supplied gaskets.

Make sure intake gaskets go around water ports on intake and cylinder heads correctly. Omce in a while you'll run into one that doesn't.
i like Ultra Black. I like engine's painted black. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.