what drives can interchange with a bravo one transom >

what drives can interchange with a bravo one transom

Notices

what drives can interchange with a bravo one transom

Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what drives can interchange with a bravo one transom

trying to find out what other drives will bolt on to my transom. i have a bravo one drive for a 454.
drive serial is
0D470465
transom serial
0D484008

will a bravo 2 bolt on and work or bravo 3. i have no clue. i know lowers are interchangeable as the gearing is in the uppers. had input shaft seal leak and bearing break. cant buy any new parts trying to piece it back together somehow and see some deals on good usable used one for only a couple hundred and hoping one will fit right on. i am probably not that lucky but who knows,,,lol

how can i find out this info
Old 08-03-2018, 12:41 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Bravo 1 and 2 and 3 and blackhawk all will work. Those all carry the same bell housing to bolt up the drive packages

Why do you list Bravo 2 for - thats for stern heavy cruiser apps --- Its a big slug thru the water as well. Plus prop selection not even close to what a Bravo 1 has to offer. Is this what you have a stern heavy cruiser boat ?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:15 AM
Registered

well long story after blowing a rod bearing, having a rebuild that broke piston first run and my carb blamed i buy new marine holley carb, then 2nd build 45min breaks rod and crank and pan ect, over revving blamed which did not happen i was soft on it as motor was new, third time i made him add h-beam rods and forged pistons with high volume oil pump and after adding vacuum guage to fine tune it i put in stock gm plugs and one was defective and blew up inside cyl 4 shot out of the engine to floor on fire at 3900 rpms made half pencil size hole between cyl 4 and 6 then blew gasket to 8 and cyl 6 blew hole in it. so i round up loans to peice a motor together, spend 8 days tranfering all parts over from my old engine and my input shaft seal sprung leak and bearing toast. wore a grove in housing at end of bearing race so i dont think i can use it, all the rest looks ok but will need teardown and cleaned..sucks for me....worse is i am on perm disability and just pulled all loans i could get to repair a used motor to run and now this. i see a bravo 2 and i think 3 local used for only a few hundred and thought if one would work and bolt on it may be worth it while i save to get parts for mine adn save the summer for my 4 yr old son for fishing, i can get a lower from a friend if i found an upper but cant find a good upper so thought i could pop on a different drive..yuo can say i am stuck between a rock and a hard spot...lol i thought the used piece together motor would break first..

my boat is a 26ft sleekcraft enforcer
Old 08-03-2018, 06:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

I’m guessing you probably have a 1.5 geared B1, if the B2 is 2:1, you could use the upper off of it and be back in business
Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rplaga
well long story after blowing a rod bearing, having a rebuild that broke piston first run and my carb blamed i buy new marine holley carb, then 2nd build 45min breaks rod and crank and pan ect, over revving blamed which did not happen i was soft on it as motor was new, third time i made him add h-beam rods and forged pistons with high volume oil pump and after adding vacuum guage to fine tune it i put in stock gm plugs and one was defective and blew up inside cyl 4 shot out of the engine to floor on fire at 3900 rpms made half pencil size hole between cyl 4 and 6 then blew gasket to 8 and cyl 6 blew hole in it. so i round up loans to peice a motor together, spend 8 days tranfering all parts over from my old engine and my input shaft seal sprung leak and bearing toast. wore a grove in housing at end of bearing race so i dont think i can use it, all the rest looks ok but will need teardown and cleaned..sucks for me....worse is i am on perm disability and just pulled all loans i could get to repair a used motor to run and now this. i see a bravo 2 and i think 3 local used for only a few hundred and thought if one would work and bolt on it may be worth it while i save to get parts for mine adn save the summer for my 4 yr old son for fishing, i can get a lower from a friend if i found an upper but cant find a good upper so thought i could pop on a different drive..yuo can say i am stuck between a rock and a hard spot...lol i thought the used piece together motor would break first..

my boat is a 26ft sleekcraft enforcer
did same guy build/fix this motor then the 4th time? Find a used early bravo one for 800 to 1200$ if moneys tight and stick it on there. If youve blown up 3 motors in less than a hr each (from what i gather reading your post) you may have other problems you need to address, Smitty
Old 08-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
did same guy build/fix this motor then the 4th time? Find a used early bravo one for 800 to 1200$ if moneys tight and stick it on there. If youve blown up 3 motors in less than a hr each (from what i gather reading your post) you may have other problems you need to address, Smitty
that moor builder only did builds first 3 builds
first build as i said cracked a piston and he blamed lean condition but if that was case i would have blown a piston first time not rod bearing due to low oil which is why is was origunally rebuilt. I drove it wot all the time on the first one that threw a rod bearing.

since i did not trust the guy i got the boat from that he indeed rebuilt the carb prior to me purchasing it i got a new holley marine carb from Jegs. $500

2nd build broke a rod and he claimed i overreved it yet there is no way i never went wot since i waa breaking in a new build only cruised.

3rd build
then i added a new billet marine distibutor with electronic ignition and built in rev limiter and was set to 4100. My engine is 4200-4600wot in the book.
local marine shop dropped in motor timed it and tuned carb basic. I calked and worked with holley on the fine tuning and had as i said before 21in of vacuum on video.
That 3rd build i also made him put h-beam rods and forged pistons ,high volume oil pump he added 10qt marine racing pan..
Then i added vacuum guage at the intake and on the dash for tuning and monitoring. Fuel pressure guage with regulator.

that build was great..ran it last summer,in winter and 2 months this summer still not going wot breaking it in. Installed the ac delo plugs in nov before going to an xmas boat parade those plugs had just over 10hrs when the guts of cyl 4 plug vlew up and it blew out of motor..not what you would think the body and tip remained in motor perfect, not burnt,wet, normal look spit the rest onto floor on fire..even GM rep confirmed my issue started with that plug in that cyl..
Suck for me i finally had it setup..by they way, also new exhaust,raw water hose in drive,impellers,water pump,200amp alt , new u joint, gimball bearing 5 years old and checked and is fine.

This new motor is not a rebuild but a put together from my old parts. It runs great and once again i got 21inch vacuum.
I have no motor issue now just outdrive..

i can say the seal was prob leaking as when i took it apart i did not even need to use the spanner wrench to take the input shaft nut off light tap with hammer on screwdriver got it off, very light tap..i knew then it had to have been loose causing the leak.
just now that my inputshaft seal decided to blow and killed the bearing just my luck...

FYI. I went to school for automechanics 27 years ago and been working on engines of all types including motorcycles since i was 16 when i did my first rod bearing in my first car.

i just dont know outdrives much but mine now or what would fit my housing.
seems i have some options i can bolt on if i can come up with miracle cash to get on water. Got one friend with a lower i can work something out woth so now jusy need to see if i can use my uper and repair or find a used upper somehow to toss on and get my son back on water fishing..lol

thanks for the response. It is greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are also bravo 3's with rotted out lower cases. At least around salt water. The 2 big stainless props cause a lot of galvanic corrosion. And the cruisers that sit in the water all summer arent driven hard so the upper's innards stand a good chance of being good. And if ratio is wrong, used alum props of fleabay are cheap and plentiful.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
My advice is to find really good marine engine builder that has customers available for reference. If you want mine, contact Mike Riley at MRE Power Products. Mike was referred to me by Keith Eickert.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected

My advice is to find really good marine engine builder that has customers available for reference. If you want mine, contact Mike Riley at MRE Power Products. Mike was referred to me by Keith Eickert.
Have to ask -- Keith E is not building engines anymore ? I know he is IL or Ohio somewhere like that ?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuning a motor has nothing todo with Vacuum(maybe at idle but there are far better ways)
You either need a AFR gauge or start reading plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.