Twin 454 question >

Twin 454 question

Notices

Twin 454 question

Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Twin 454 question

alright guys I live in the Midwest where it gets freezing temps in the winter. I have to winterize boat ever year. What I’ve done in the past is pulled drain plug on block and pulled all hoses and that’s worked for me. But that was on a single motor boat. I now have a 89 formula 272 sr1 with twin 454s. Both motors are out right now. Can’t do what I did with drain plugs and hoses because it’s so damn tight. Is there anything I can do to drain holes before I drop motors to make a attachment or something to drain blocks???
Old 08-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

On every motor I have put in a boat the last decade go to Home Depot and get a 1/2 long all thread, a coupler and a plug for both sides all in brass. More then once I have had the block threads turn to crap after a couple years. So you install the all thread in the block, attach the coupler to it and then the plug is always brass on brass The best 5 dollar mod I have ever made to a motor. They also stick out from the block so they are easier to find in the dark. I have the wing style block drains on one motor. They seem to clog up easier and harder to clear. JMHO.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't bother draining nothing . run full strength antifreeze through my strainerson each engine followed by a gallon of 50 /50 fog it . I always have my wife making sure shes all green coming out the tarp I put on the ground .of course if youre running t stats ,I am not it has to be up to temp to pull the antifreeze through the motor , drain my headers and carbs .. night ,nite

Last edited by ROB FREEMAN; 08-23-2018 at 08:05 PM.