Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula >

Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula

Notices

Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula

Old 10-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula

Last couple of months I've gotten water in the cabin after hard rains. I can see where it runs down the side of the aisle out from under the cabinetry (one the left side), just can't see where it is coming in at. There is limited visibility behind the cabinets (where all the power is, fridge, sink, sterio etc). I can pull out the trash bin and see some of the space behind the cabinets, but what I can see is all dry to the touch.

Anyone have a good idea/method for tracking down the source? I AM NOT going to pull all the cabinets out!! Way too much work and no way I'd ever get it all back in to look as good as the factory.

Thanks - Greg
Attached Thumbnails Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula-small-interior.jpg  
Old 10-28-2002, 08:35 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about taking the boat off the trailer and standing it on its bow. Next fill the cabin with water and watch to see where it comes out.
Yeah , I guess that is a little extreme.
How about getting on deck with a hose and and observer inside. Squirt each and every fitting and/or rail connection one at a time. Give it a damned good shot from different directions. Sounds like it's probably the left side , so start there.
Don't forget the rub rail also.
Good luck , leaks can be a real mofo
Old 10-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like mopower said, get a friend and a hose and go from one deck fitting to another and don't forget the hatches and windshield area as well as everything that's mounted above the area in question.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

It usually takes a while for the water to meander from whereever it is coming in to where I see it ... something like a day later the carpet shows up wet. I'll try to see if I can see anything running down the inside of the hull looking behind the cabinets where I can see. I've wondered about some time of dye to make it easier to see, but am afraid that would make a permenant mess where it came through.

-Greg
Old 10-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

This might sound stupid but it just might work. I have heard that car dealers use smoke to find problem leaks.
I was at a friends Haloween party this past Saturday and he had a smoke machine. The stuff really smoked the place up but it didn't stink or anything bad. I just seen some for sale at either Wal-mart or K-mart and I don't think they are that expensive.
You might be able to set it up inside the cabin and close the door and see if any of the smoke rolls out of any strange places. Or you might be able to try and direct it into some of the areas talked about from the outside-in. I would read what the package says but I really can't see the stuff hurting anything.
Just a thought.

Cordell
Old 10-28-2002, 06:54 PM
Registered

Actually the smoke idea is a very good one. You could position a fan outside the cabin door blowing in to the cabin area and fill it with smoke. If the fan is posistioned correctly and big enough it will basically seal the door way and pressurize the cabin slightly. You could also position the fan in the door way blowing out to pull a slight vacuum in side the cabin and walk around the outside checking to see where the smoke gets pulled in. You will probably be suprised what you find. Fire departments use the same type of smoke for training.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the smoke thing !!! Check the rub rail screws , windsheild bolts , and also the cabin door opening . Anything mounted on the side like antenas etc.
Old 10-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Registered

Does it only happen after a rain? Check the fridge/icemaker sink etc.

The rubrail is a common leak. The others have mentioned the obvious suspects.

Try contacting Formula. Maybe they have some experience and can point you in the correct direction.

Steve
Old 10-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Registered

Thanks for the ideas.

The fridge hasn't been on (since I got the boat actually) so I'm sure that's not it.

I thought the inside of the hull/deck seam was glassed over, but will have to look again.

If it was the wind screen I thought I'd see water on the headliner? Had one deck rail fitting loose in the bow long ago, suppose there could be one leaking farther back (each has an o-ring under it to seal things).

I "think" I can remove the back plate of the storage cabinet without taking all the rest out, which might let me see the hull sides.

If the watr system was filled I'd suspect a leak from it since it comes out from under the sink area, but that doesn't fit with it only being when it rains hard.

- Greg
Old 10-29-2002, 12:46 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg,
We used to presurize the cabin.. well in a car you turn on the heater fan full blast... then use soapy water and see where the bubbles come from... That puts the indicator on the outside where you want to fix the leak.. if that is the source..
If you block of the cabin and use a big squirrel cage blower motor.. it might just work.. good luck

dick

Quick Reply: Can't find a water leak - 402 Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.