Metal in Heads..Where Could It Be From? >

Metal in Heads..Where Could It Be From?

Notices

Metal in Heads..Where Could It Be From?

Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

No signs of valve float or anything

How tight of a fit are your aprings to the locators/cup and retainers ?
Old 10-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I had the same issue. Turned out, the shop that put the heads together, didnt use the correct hardware, for the springs. The locator shoulder measured like .680, and the inner springs ID measured like .740 if I recall. The retainer fit also wasnt the best. The springs were rotating, and digging into the locators, leaving tiny metal specks in the heads where the oil pools. Also, the inner spring was rubbing on the stem seal, likely from the pizz poor setup. Springs had good pressures, around 180/470 when tested, but were the wrong springs. They were a mile away from coil bind. Probably surging, wobbling, and dancing all over the place. Lesson learned with that shop.

i had had a very similar situation after a few dyno pulls and not happy with the numbers I just jumped the gun and changed over to solid lifters and went to heavier springs. I'd normally swap out my self however just sent parts to shop for quick installation so I could come back down for some more pulls and tuning. I wanted to check seat and open pressures to be certain they were what Valako wanted for the custom grinds. Low and behold I discovered the shop assembled new springs and used the same locators and retainers. About .050 of spring side to side motion. At least it was caught and resulted huge gains as the springs were spec'd wrong to begin with and hyd rollers were bouncing all over place. The lobes were a little on the aggressive side that didn't help matters.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What valve spring OD vs Spring cup ID clearance do you shoot for?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a cam thrust washer crack and shave enough metal off the block it never went further then the first firing. Another $1800 to rebuild again.