540 BBC running poorly >

540 BBC running poorly

Notices

540 BBC running poorly

Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
It was mentioned that your boat had a survey on it before you purchased it ? If so do you want to give up whom that was and how long you own this boat again. I believe it about 4 months ownership for you ? How much running time did you put on it since you bought it - your boat never ran correctly since day one when you bought it ?. I take it the boat was never test driven nor comp tested ?

Was this a SAMS survey person ?
Yes, was surveyed by Bubba Harris. I bought the boat in early July. Hour meters were in the low 20s at that time, and less than 10 hours put on since then, mostly in troubleshooting/testing time.

Found this thread, from August 2018 (a month after I bought this boat), showing a shoddy job by the same surveyor. https://www.thehulltruth.com/vendor-...rveyors-2.html

No compression test was done prior to purchase, as the motors had such low documented hours on them it seemed unnecessary.

The boat ran "ok" the first time I took it out, but the water temperatures were wildly swinging from 100 to 190 and back, with no real rhyme or reason. I do not recall it doing that on the day of the survey / sea trial. Bubba was at the helm for the sea trial.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

sportboats and SAMS people are not a good mix. I see this TIME and TIME again including problem child boats that come in to me from buyers and or SECOND OPINIONS.

Common report form --- person boat owner in person " I had it surveyed and the boat completely had a clean bill of health " My reply let me guess SAMs did the check out -- correct -- --- new Boat owner --- YEP everyone refers them so it was the first choice to the do the check out for a piece of mind - Well let me set the record straight - You would be better off having Stevie Wonder check your boat out for all the mechanical sides. Sorry for all the ones whom use SAMS and or whom keeps on recommending them but the pencil and clipboard routine is just not cutting it especially for the sportboat buyer.

Sorry for all your issues.

Sams really is not a choice period when performance or engines or engine diagnostic - outdrives - performance set ups - fast boats - and so on are involved. Again sorry about all this.

Last edited by BUP; 11-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I feel bad for you. Good thing is you don't have to chase problems and waste time anymore. Bad thing is the bill your gonna get. Hopefully your mechanic will feel bad as well and try and help you out the best he can. Sucks as the previous owner likely knew what was going on and wanted out of the boat without being truthful. Karma is a *****hh though. Just curious if you got any receipts from rebuilds with purchase of your boat.

I was thinking plugs were changed or were not getting voltage. Hope all your journals etc are ok on one being pulled. Many times one thing leads to another and another and another.

i wish you the best.
John
Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for the words of support. Waiting on more info about how bad the engines are. Will post as soon as I hear.

I'll certainly be smarter if I ever buy another boat after this one, and not assume *anything* -- including assuming that a surveyor is worth the paper their card is made from.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Major bummer. Hopefully all of the internals are still good.

Is it likely that a head gasket popped from a lean condition?

Fwiw, I had a rats nest of a boat when I bought mine not too unsimilar to what you have, and the bright side is once it’s sorted out you should be good to go for years to come.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Major bummer. Hopefully all of the internals are still good.

Is it likely that a head gasket popped from a lean condition?

Fwiw, I had a rats nest of a boat when I bought mine not too unsimilar to what you have, and the bright side is once it’s sorted out you should be good to go for years to come.
Head gasket would be the best outcome, I think, whether from running too lean or too hot (or both), maybe. However, with at least one intake valve having an issue, I suspect I won't get out that easily.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

That's what you call living and learning. Sometimes some of us just live more than we learn. I'm sure guilty myself of it from time to time. Mistake like this one is definately one you learn from.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,334 Likes on 744 Posts

I am worried about the water in cylinders,,,,,, that is never good.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Teague even admits that he’s blown up more engines than he can count. Power boats can be a cruel sport.

Is there any recourse with surveyers or seller? At least the current mechanics on task seem competent this far.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Low hours ? how old is the boat and the engine ?? is the engine a rebuild currently or within the past year ?? If so whom did rebuilt it ? any invoices on that end ?? No compression test on a used boat ??

A boat that is 4 or more years old and only has 20 hours on it - then it sat around for a long time. Boats are better running than sitting around for years on end. Things deteriorate just sitting there in non use. Fuel systems / gas tanks / fuel lines / fuel cells / gaskets and so on sitting idle for years takes a beating. One is better off that a boat and engine has been ran within reason and one is better off buying a used boat that operated most of its run times at 70 to 75 percent of its duty cycle load. Usually that is around 3600 to 4000 roms for most marine engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.